Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 questions

Question 2 questions

1. I have a REALLY bad cold, and can hardly breathe. (Have you ever been so congested you can't swallow? Yeah, that's me.) I was just wondering what cold medicines (preferably non-drowsy) that are safe to take while breastfeeding.

2. My 12 week-old baby has recently started sleeping an 8-9 hour stretch at night. I, of course, wake up really full and NEED him to nurse by the time he wakes up! However, I have so much milk by then that he can't even finish one side. Up until today, I have been pumping out the extra after he eats, but I don't want to have to do that. So, today I just let him eat until he was full, and stuck it out until the next time he needed to eat. I am STILL very full, but not as full. My question is, when a baby starts sleeping through the night, will my body eventually realize that it does not need to produce that much milk at night if I don't pump?

THANKS in advance!

Default Re: 2 questions

Yes. It's all supply and demand. So your body should catch up/taper off in 3-5 days.

Way too lazy for formula

Sorry I don't know about the cold medicine.

Way too lazy for formula

Here is a thread that goes over cold medicine. Unfortunately sudafed (pseudoephedrine), which you shouldn't take, is the one thing that works best for me when I am congested.

One idea: I always find that spicy food will loosen up my congestion. If you (and your LO) can handle it, that might be a route to try.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Try a neti pot! They absolutely rock.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012