Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OAL - new strategies?

Default OAL - new strategies?

My LO is six weeks old, and we've struggled with overactive letdown from the beginning. Poor little guy gets sprayed in the face and can't latch at first because it's too slippery. I also have a good supply. I don't know if it's oversupply, but the few times I've pumped to empty, I got 6-8 ounces within about 10 minutes.

I've tried the standard remedies without any luck. However, one night I pumped right before going to bed in place of that feeding so DH could help. The next two feedings...I finally understood how bf could be a peaceful, bonding experience! He latched on, ate, we snuggled, and he went right back to sleep. No squirting, no gulping, no fussing and gas afterwards.

One other thing - I have PCOS. That can cause low supply, but it can also cause oversupply in some women. I think that might be why my body isn't adjusting with the usual techniques.

Does it seem like this would be worth trying? Pumping every few feedings? Or has anyone had success with other nonstandard techniques? We've tried block feeding, letting it flow into a towel, nursing uphill, pumping a little bit before feeding, etc. I'm hoping there's something we can do. I'm tempted to go to EP because I hate seeing my little guy so frustrated and hurting after every feeding, but I know it's not the best option...

Thanks!

Default Re: OAL - new strategies?

Congrats on your LO. I too have and OALD (or used to) and I would not recommend EP. We suffered from the green poopies, the choking on milk, getting sprayed in the face, etc. We have finally adjusted (around 3 months).

What I would suggest is when you feel you are having a let down, pull your LO off and let your milk spray on a cloth. Then let him relatch. That worked for us. Also, try block-feeding.

HTH
    Mommy to Jackson Cale
    May 30, 2009

Proudly my little love.

Please, please PLEASE do not EP!!! It's not easier than BFing in the long run!

I have OALD, OS and I successfully nursed three babies despite OALD and OS. I'd be nursing this fourth, but he has a cleft palate and we simply could not overcome a cleft palate to nurse exclusively at the breast. You can do this without taking such a drastic measure. There's a whole lot of us here who have dealt with OALD and OS.

First off, put the pump down and walk away. Every time you pump, you tell your body to make more milk. And more milk comes out faster. Particularly if you pump to empty. That really, really, really stimulates OS and OALD. It seems to calm it down, but over time, it is more demand, which makes more supply, which comes out even more forcefully.

I was given really bad advice with my first baby. To pump after every feeding to empty, and I pumped myself right into a really bad OS and OALD. I could pump about 10 oz AFTER feeding the baby, and the letdown...it shot across the room. It took months to fix that mess.

What I did, and it turned out to be instinctive, was block feed, and that's my second suggestion. And when I say block feed, I often would just nurse on one side all day long, like for 8-12 hours sometimes. I didn't watch the clock. I watched my baby, and I nursed very often, so the letdown wasn't as strong. If baby was still hungry after the one side was "done," and it had been a while, I switched sides.

Third thing ... it takes WEEKS to MONTHS for some women to fix OALD and OS. Don't give up too soon. don't expect results, with that kind of supply, particularly with a medical condition, to fix things within a few days. Instead, get the milk flowing, try laying back and letting baby latch himself on to get gravity to help slow the flow, start the milk flowing and then put baby on when it stops (I used to start the milk going with a pump and then when it was slower and not shooting all over, put the baby on).

Pumping, I PROMISE, having BTDT with an OALD and OS and living EPing now, will NOT help in the long run. The standard techniques do work. Every mom I've helped with them has eventually gotten it to work.

I envy you, actually, being able to nurse
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with everything aprilsmagic said. Everything. EP can seem like the easy way out of your dilemma, but it is not. Taming a monster oversupply takes time, and lots of it. (And yes, 6-8 oz per pump is oversupply!)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you ladies so much for the advice! I really, really don't want to EP, as much as it sometimes does sound like an easy solution. It's good to hear that it can be worked out, even if it takes awhile. LO is starting to handle the letdown a bit better as well. It still goes all over him, but he doesn't seem quite as overwhelmed. I'll try doing a more extended block feeding to see if that tames things a bit as well.

And aprilsmagic...thank you for the reminder about being able to nurse at all. I honestly mean that. It was a huge question mark for most of my pregnancy and when Caleb was first born, because of a medication I'm taking that I can't go off of. After a lot of input from multiple docs and resources, we decided the benefits outweighed the risk, but I was crushed when I thought we would have to go to formula. Kudos on feeding three with OAL and OS, and it sounds like your fourth LO is pretty darn lucky to have you! :-)

In the long run, OALD and OS turn out to be blessings. It's easy to pump milk when you need it, and it only takes about 5 minutes to feed the baby once baby learns to handle the fast flow Sometimes my DH would say, "I'll meet you in the mall," for example, when we would arrive and discover baby wanted to nurse before getting out of the car. I learned fast to tell him to wait because I'd be done before he got inside
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!