Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First Time Pumping

Default First Time Pumping

Hi there, I'm new here at LLLI. I have a hand me down Medela Pump in Style Original that was given to me by my mom's friend. I've sterilized it according to instructions and attempted to use it today. I found it incredibly painful, is that normal? I wasn't even able to pump 1/2 oz before giving up. Any suggestions? Should I buy a newer breast pump?

I have been breastfeeding my 6 wk old little one exclusively since she was born without too much trouble.

Default Re: First Time Pumping

have you tried turning down the suction?

Yes, I put it down to the minimum and still found it painful, and I stopped getting milk out when I did as well. :/

have you tried switching horns (the part your breast goes into?) which part of your breast hurts?

Another question, should it be sucking only your nipple or your areola as well? I'm thinking the cover might be too big for my nipples?

Edit: I don't have other horns, I was only given these ones. It's the base of the nipple and surrounding areola that hurts. :/

in my case it has to suck my areola too bc i have very small nipples..practically flat. in my honest opinion (im not an expert or LLL leader or anything) but i would try getting new horns bc it sound like the flange is the wrong size. i use pumpin pals breast shields. they are 34.95 and come in a pack of 3 different sizes. you can google it and they have a website where you can watch a video about them.

also if you check out the medela website they have information on how to choose the right size for you if you dont want a pumpin pals

Thanks I'll check it out.

The original PIS is not a very good pump in comparison to the new ones. The new pumps are made to be much more gentle to mom's nipples and collect more milk. While trying different sized horns would help, and try lubricating them with lanolin or olive oil, it might be the pump itself.

I hated the PumpinPals. Some moms love them, but they did not work for me at all.

I'd get a new pump. PISA, Lansinoh, something like that, myself.

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...d-breastshield is a little how-to on choosing the right size. There's another link floating around with pictures of actual nipples in horns. But I can't find that one.

How much it sucks in to be comfortable varies from woman to woman. I can't stand it to not suck in the entire areola. But that's really uncomfortable for some women.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; September 4th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!