Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How and When?

Default How and When?

My baby is 9 days old. I will be going back to work at 2 months. I would like to have a freezer supply built up and am going to start offering him a bottle of bm a day starting at 2 weeks. I want to make sure he is taking a bottle well before I go back to work. I have a friend at work who's baby won't take a bottle at all and I work nights so I couldn't leave my husband at home with 3 kids one of which who refuses to eat. Anyway the questions I have is when should I pump? How long should I pump? I'm also afraid of causing oald. Any advice is welcome! Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Default Re: How and When?

tons and tons of great resources here about pumping and bottle feeding:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

If you can hold off a couple more weeks - I've read that starting a bottle too early can possibly lead to nipple confusion that can make it harder to go between the breast and a bottle. I started my babies on a bottle at 4 weeks and that worked well for us.

Most moms find it easiest to pump in the morning when supply is typically the greatest. I would pump right after my baby's first morning nursing session. Some moms are able to pump off the "other side" while baby is nursing.

See the resources linked above for tips on how to bottle feed a breastfed baby. I was never able to give my own child a bottle - so my husband would give baby a bottle while I was in the other room.

I'd usually pump while baby was getting a bottle.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I have had to go back to work and pump with all three of mine. I would suggest putting off giving the bottle for a bit longer. My experience is the younger they are, the more they are willing to take a bottle. 2 months is still pretty young. I never gave my latest LO a bottle before I went back to work at 6 weeks and he took bottles fine. With one that little you are at greater risk of messing up your nursing relationship than having a LO refuse to take a bottle.

Here is some info on bottle feeding a breastfed baby. I would suggest pumping after you have nursed whenever your supply seems the greatest, which for most moms is in the morning. I used to pump once to twice a day, until no more would come out. Don't be surprised if you don't get a lot; your body is used to producing what your LO needs.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

2 weeks is a bit young to start offering bottles. The reasons are several:

1) that age is still susceptible to developing nipple preference. It's EASY to get milk out of a bottle. Not so easy to get milk out of a breast. And the younger they are, the easier it is for them, and they learn a bottle is easy, and then they sometimes start refusing to nurse.
    2) your supply is still developing. If you start pumping, then you are more likely to upset the apple cart and make too much milk. While that doesn't sound like a bad thing, when you run out of freezer space (BTDT) and suffer from multiple bouts of plugged ducts and/or mastitis because you have too much milk (BTDT too), it is a bad thing.
    3) if you already have OALD, pumping makes that worse

So..hold off a few more weeks. Try offering a bottle, like the links say, around 6 weeks instead of 2 weeks. You do NOT need a huge freezer stash. That is such a myth. You really just need a couple days' worth, for that first day back at work, when you are figuring out when and how to pump, and a little extra for those days when you are a bit short, or you spill it, or you forget the milk at work, or those little things. But having 100 oz in the freezer...you won't need it. The only moms who really need a big freezer stash are the EPing moms, so they can quit pumping when they choose to.

When you do start pumping, many moms start by picking a time when they normally have a lot of milk and just pumping then, either by pumping before or after baby eats, or even during a nursing session. Or pump halfway through a nap. 20 minutes is usually adequate for a mom who is nursing too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I wish someone had told me about #2 before I did it. I'm running out of freezer space and plugged ducts are not fun. I just have the daycare use frozen breastmilk the first day he's there, then fresh the rest of the week. I pumped after he was done in the mornings, and you get a lot then. If you have a weeks supply of milk frozen before you return to work, you'll be fine.

Try putting baby on a bottle 2 weeks before you go back to work, and have your husband or someone else do it. I still haven't given my LO a bottle, but he's gotten it from everyone else. Have someone give you LO a bottle feeding several times a day starting 2 weeks before you return to work. It gives him time to adapt to the bottle. You can probably give him the bottle feeding too, but I never did, he gets boobs from me and that is it. When they're bottle feeding him, then you can get in a good pumping session. Also, if you haven't left him with someone for a few hours yet, I'd leave him with grandma or someone as a trial in that 2 week period before you go back, to get him used to the fact you're not going to be around all day.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone I'm glad I can hold off on pumping because I wasn't looking forward to pumping. Although I am looking forward to someone else being able to feed the baby every once in a while. Although he is only 11 days old so I am tired. And it definately makes sense to hold off on the bottle for a while.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11