Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: painful breast

Default painful breast

Last night my breast started hurting on the outside edge. I thought maybe it was slightly engorged so I had DS eat extra long on that side. It has just gotten worse over night and has now spread to my nipple. It is quite painful. I can't feel any bumps that would indicate that it is aplugged duct, but the most painful part has seemed to move closer to my nipple, with the area around the most painful part radiates outward. The most painful part last night was closer to my side than it is now. Does that make sense? I am going with family away for the day so I won't have the luxury of having DS eat from that side often today (more than usual). What do you think it is and what can I do about it. I leave in about 3 hours.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: painful breast

A plugged duct doesn't necessarily feel like a bump, lump, or wedge. Often it just feels like a part of the breast is engorged. If you are also getting nipple pain, a blister is a possible cause: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A plugged duct can be eased with heat and massage towards the nipple. Feeding your baby will also help, if you position him so that his chin is on the side of the pain and his nose opposite to the pain. The massaging action of his chin combined with his suckling pulling milk forward in your breast can definitely work on releasing the plugged area. Tylenol will help with pain, but I would recommend finding as much time as you can today to slip away and nurse a lot, or do a little massage in the bathroom. A plugged duct doesn't always wait patiently until we have time to deal with it. I hope you feel better soon!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

It sounds like what I had recently, and it was a plugged duct. I used a warm compress on the painful spot and made my LO nurse frequently on that side. If you express, I also emptied the beast in question after he was done with it. It cleared up in a few days. I didn't know to position him differently when he's feeding, I'll try that too next time!

plugged duct Nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse in different positions. and it can take some time to clear up.

Check your bras, baby carriers and that sort of thing to make sure nothing is putting pressure in odd ways on your breasts.

If it's really sore, take some ibuprofen too.

I have found that they come on when a mom is stressed or going away, or coming back from a day or something too, and of course, I usually end up waiting until I have time to deal with it, and it takes longer to get rid of. Tonight, when you get home, go to bed with baby and just nurse for the next few days.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!