Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 week old pushing off breast

Default Re: 2 week old pushing off breast

That's great it's working!! I think we just wanted to make sure you had looked at the references and knew it was OALD before you messed with supply. It sounds like you may have figured it out though. Just trust yourself. You know what you are doing even though you may not feel like it all the time.

Just trust your instincts. If it's working, don't worry about your supply. If it seems to go down, just nurse more!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Just trust your instincts. If it's working, don't worry about your supply. If it seems to go down, just nurse more!
    She isn't as fussy at the breast anymore, but won't latch on right. Even if I can get her to latch on right, it's still on the shallow side and as she feeds it gets more and more shallow until she's just sucking the nipple. Then she pulls off while still holding on to the nipple. I thought I was past the sore nipples -- she was feeding like a champ, latching on without any issues and there was no pain at all. Now this...

I am going to try feeding in a reclining position again to see if it helps...any other ideas???

sometimes they are just sloppy when they nurse.
    have you tried more support when she is latched on. Some babies like lots of support and don't like to feal unsupported.
    use pillows or a swaddle blanket

Just really watch your latch. Get her to open her mouth wide, wide wide. And when she starts slipping, change sides, take her off, move positions. And try some more support. I found I had sore nipples when I relied on a Boppy pillow and sat up, but laying down, I was able to get a better position, baby didn't slip as much, and it really helped.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Just really watch your latch. Get her to open her mouth wide, wide wide. And when she starts slipping, change sides, take her off, move positions. And try some more support. I found I had sore nipples when I relied on a Boppy pillow and sat up, but laying down, I was able to get a better position, baby didn't slip as much, and it really helped.
    Thanks for the tip. I try to get her to open really wide, but she doesn't always comply. I am going to try laying down in a few minutes when I feed her. I have been sittng up using a Boppy but supporting her with my arms as well. I've also tried reclining a bit but it doesn't seem to be enough. Hopefully laying down helps. I am at my wits end...

Just keep saying, one more day, one more day. And before you know it, it will be easy. I wanted to quit every single day for 2 solid months with my first. That's how long it took to get easy. Don't give up too soon. Anything worthwhile is difficult to achieve!
    Susan

I spoke with a nurse and board certified lactation consultant at the pedi's office after calling to as. She suggested pumping a bit to draw out the nipple before feeding to help with her latch. Then she suggested to finish emptying the breast by pumping for a few minutes after a feeding so that when she goes to eat the next time the breast isn't so full.

So, after she ate at 3:45 I pumped with a manual pump for a few minutes. I got TWO OUNCES after she had eaten for 10 minutes. And the milk was spraying into the pump -- is that normal?? Seems like a lot of milk and some pretty forceful spray. My poor daughter has been drowning in milk!

I went through a very similar situation. I still have OS and OALD, but DD can handle it a bit better now that she's 5 Months. I used a nipple shield for a few weeks, and then once she got the hang of latching I "weaned her from it"
    I usually only offer one breast per feed and I just hand express a bit off before she latches to soften and ensure she gets to hind milk, and just hand express the other breast afterwards "to comfort" rather than emptying both, which signals my body to make more, thus exacerbating the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bonadl View Post
    I spoke with a nurse and board certified lactation consultant at the pedi's office after calling to as. She suggested pumping a bit to draw out the nipple before feeding to help with her latch. Then she suggested to finish emptying the breast by pumping for a few minutes after a feeding so that when she goes to eat the next time the breast isn't so full.

So, after she ate at 3:45 I pumped with a manual pump for a few minutes. I got TWO OUNCES after she had eaten for 10 minutes. And the milk was spraying into the pump -- is that normal?? Seems like a lot of milk and some pretty forceful spray. My poor daughter has been drowning in milk!
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong