Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 week old pushing off breast

Default 2 week old pushing off breast

My 2 week old keeps getting fussy and pushing off the breast. She kicks and squirms and pulls away, but then wants back on. I had been nursing in a reclining position so I changed to sitting up and that seemed to help. But now she's doing it again. Am I not making enough milk? How do I know? Or is the flow still too slow? I tried breast compressions to no avail.

She also keeps losing suction as she nurses. She started this a couple days ago...never did it before. Her latch is good...off centered and covering the areola.

I am so frustrated I am considering just giving up and switching to formula. Between the sleep deprivation from being the only one who can feed her and all of these other issues I am not sure that it's worth it.

Default Re: 2 week old pushing off breast

I've been there, please don't give up! My son would pull off and cry and then act like he wanted to be back on the breast. It sounds like you have a forceful or overactive letdown. Does she also cough or choke a little? I hope this link helps
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

with pp. Sounds like it could be OALD to me as well.

You are doing great mama! Please remember that it IS worth it! Breastmilk is the best thing for your lo. I have been tempted to throw in the the towel a few times as well. But remembering how good bfing is for my babies and that formula isn't a cure all, has helped me continue to bfeed far longer than I thought I would! Formula would most likely solve certain problems but create new ones. Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bellababy View Post
    with pp. Sounds like it could be OALD to me as well.

You are doing great mama! Please remember that it IS worth it! Breastmilk is the best thing for your lo. I have been tempted to throw in the the towel a few times as well. But remembering how good bfing is for my babies and that formula isn't a cure all, has helped me continue to bfeed far longer than I thought I would! Formula would most likely solve certain problems but create new ones. Hang in there!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

She just ate for 10 min at 4pm...5 min, burp, 5 min, burp. I put her in her swing and she slept for maybe 10 min or so and then ate for 5 min at 5pm. Normal for OALD?

Usually she does this at 10:30pm till 3am so if she has shifted to the evening then I'm ok with that...

Also noticed she is clamping down on my nipple a lot more...is that to slow down the flow of milk? Would the fast flow also explain the shorter feeding times? Lately she has been eating in 10 minute chunks rather than the 20 minutes she used to eat in.

I am going to try the block feeding method since she is only eating in 5-10 minute chunks. How do I know when the breast I'm using is empty and that it's time to switch to the other one? Try to manually express some milk and see if there is any left?

Does it sound like OALD? Because my DD did that at that age and it was due to low supply. I wouldn't try block feeding unless you're pretty confident that you have an oversupply. I had an oversupply and OALD with my first so I didn't always offer both breasts per feeding with #2 and I think it contributed to my low supply. I think it's fine to offer the same breast after 5 minutes; you just don't want to go hours without getting both breasts stimulated.

The clamping down can be an indication of OALD, however, I would be sure this is what it is before block feeding. You don't want to mess with your supply unless you have to. The link that momtodom09 posted is great for diagnosing OALD.

And if that is what it is it would explain why her feedings are getting shorter. The older babies get, the more efficient they are at removing milk from the breast, 10 mins sounds just fine. I have dealt with OS issues with all 3 of my kids and 10 mins can be a long time for them to nurse...

Could be OALD, could be reflux.

I always just used the same breast if they came off and wanted to eat again within the hour.

Feeding can get shorter naturally. All of mine -- even the one fed with a bottle -- eat faster and faster as time goes by.

Formula solves nothing. Bottles don't solve anything either. In fact, I personally thought the bottles this time have been more hassle than breastfeeding ever, ever is. You have to fill them (often while baby is crying). Many moms heat them (we don't) and baby is crying. Then you feed baby. And baby STILL needs to eat a lot and wants to comfort suck and all of that, and all I did the first month of my fourth child's life was hold a bottle for him (and pump). Don't do it. These issues WILL work out. Give it some time!

Your breasts are never empty, BTW. You'll always be able to express some. I just played it by ear, actually. I just fed the baby, didn't watch the clock, didn't worry about which breast I last used, all of that, and my babies, in the end, thrived. Trust your instincts, mama!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I already started the block feeding this afternoon/evening. She is feeding longer and isn't pulling away anymore. Since you all warned against it though now I am worried. I'll go back to alternating at each feeding starting next time. Really hoping I didn't just screw things up even more....