Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lazy latch?

Default Lazy latch?

Hi everyone, my LO is 14 weeks and over the past 2 weeks we are been having some problems. It seems he has got lazy with his latch, he won't open his mouth very wide and won't scoop his tounge, also I believe I have a fast letdown/over supply as he is constantly losing suction when feeding and making a 'clicking' noise, as well as sometimes coughing/choking/spluttering etc, I have tried to pump excess milk off but this is still not helping. I think he would feed properly were it not for my over supply/fast let down. Does anyone have any advice on how to resolve this problem? I give him a bottle of expressed BM every evening and he takes that just fine, not making hardly as many 'clicking noises'.... I really don't want to give up breast feeding my LO as I enjoy it so much.
    Thank you for reading.

Default Re: Lazy latch?

Is there a lactation consultant at any nearby hospital that does in office visits? I did this a number of times b/c my DD was clicking and seemed to have a shallow latch. She was a great hands on support, and evaluated LO's latch. She also did a pre and post feed weight to see how much milk DD was transferring. Also, I attended a local LLL meeting to get support. It's so hard to know it's ok w/o knowing how much they are getting, but having those who are more experienced re-assure me was a great help. Here's a good link, too, for review: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html and it notes If baby is transferring milk and gaining weight well, and mom is not hurting, then latch and positioning are - by definition - good, even if it's nothing like the "textbook" latch and positioning that you've seen in books.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Ack. Put the pump down and walk away. That makes OS and OALD WORSE. Seriously. I mean it. Don't pump! Every time you remove milk, particularly the excess, you tell your body to make more. And it comes out faster and faster. Don't do that.

ETA: but the OALD and OS may be the reason why his latch is lazy. He's trying to get it to slow down a bit.

Otherwise, do the general remedies for OS and OALD: reclining nursing, block feeding, try a different position (laying down might work better as baby can let the excess drip out of his mouth). Get the milk rolling and let the excess go into a towel before latching baby on.

Also....if he's not bothered -- like not crying, it's OK. So he gasps. He'll be OK.

If you stop pumping, it will get better. Babies grow into OALD and cope with it better as they get bigger, and it turns into a blessing.

Do NOT EP to solve this. That's a short term gain with a very long term loss. BFing gets easier. But EPing NEVER EVER gets easier. As long as you want to feed your child BM, you will have to pump for 120 minutes every day to maintain your supply, with a minimum of 6 sessions a day; most moms need 8. It's much easier to just nurse! This is just a little bump in the road.

I have OALD and OS and nursed three babies totally successfully
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hey thanks for your replies I didn't realise I was doing more harm than good . I will take your advice on board and see how I go, it's not that I'm bothered but LO is taking excess amounts of wind down and is generally a unhappy baby all day due to winding problems. This is the only reason I want to try resolve the problems I am having. I have been to see someone but they were generally not that helpful before so has kind of put me off going again.

I didn't realize either when I had my first that the well-intentioned advice was sometimes just flat-out wrong for MY situation. The person who told me to pump and pump a lot had apparently worked with a lot of moms with low supply, and that was the worst possible thing for a mom with plenty to do.

You didn't mention the wind problems. Some babies are bothered, some are not. Try burping more often, different positions and even gripe water for excess gassiness.

The gassiness will also improve if you improve the OALD

And some babies are just grumpy I had two of those. I thought for sure it was the gas. Then the reflux. Turns out that's just who they are. Grouchy people.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!