Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby wants to be held!

Default Baby wants to be held!

I just started back to work and the baby just does great over there, she can put him in the swing, lay him down for a nap and all is good. When i pick him up I have to hold him and cannot put him down. I get him to sleep and go to lay him down and those little eyes pop open! He is almost 7 weeks and I cannot get anything done! Is anyone else having this problem?

Default Re: Baby wants to be held!

This is pretty common at that age, especially for babes getting used to not being around mama all day. He just misses you Have you looked into a ring sling or other form of baby wearing? It's a good compromise for baby to get the closeness he craves while mom has her hands free to do other things.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Yep, baby misses you and wants to be with you. I did not wear my first ds and it was so hard and frustrating not being able to do anything. I finally figured out the whole babywearing thing by the time ds2 was born and things were so much easier.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I agree with the PPs. It's totally normal. Cosleeping once I went back to work FT after my daughter was born saved us - and gave us more time. Your baby has been with you for many, many months without ever being put down (when you were PG). It's totally normal for a baby to still crave that. Heck, my daughter is the same way sometimes still.

Try babywearing.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

my Ergo. my son and i are both happier together, either me holding him or wearing him.
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; September 2nd, 2011 at 06:53 PM.

I know it's easier said than done, but cherish this time. Your baby is still so young.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

, especially since you are at work all day. She misses you. Even my almost 2 year old really, really wants me to hold him and follows me around when I come home from work, especially if I work a long day. Cosleeping and babywearing helped us a lot too, especially since DS2 never wanted to be put down by anyone and always had to be next to someone at all times.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I was even a SAHM and my son needed held, just his personality. Invest in a carrier, you won't regret it! Baby gets to be close and you can get things done!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

babywearing was the answer for us. I absolutely LOVED my ring sling when my son was young, and when he was older he practically lived in the mai tai (spelling?) on my back. It allowed him to be close to me while also allowing me to have free hands to get things done.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Another advocate for baby wearing here It's really the only way to go at that age.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language