Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Offer same breast first all the time

Default Offer same breast first all the time

I finally got my LO on the breasts. She never nurse more than 7 minutes on the left side and sometime cries and refuses it, but she would nurse more than 15 minutes on the right without any problem almost every time. She seems more willing to take the left breast if I offer it first. I was told to alternate breasts each feeding, does it matter if I offer the left breast first every time ? Is this going to cause my breasts/or milk supply to be uneven ?

Default Re: Offer same breast first all the time

Although this article is about lopsidedness, it does address issues of preference and how to deal with it.

It is great that your LO is nursing!
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

You got your baby to nurse! That's major! At that point, I wouldn't worry too much about lopsideness - she probably prefers the side with better supply, or faster flow. You could try pumping on the less-favored side, to try to increase the supply on that side a bit. Or, some women nurse primarily on one side for extended periods of time, and that's okay too. You can make enough milk from one breast to feed your baby. Most, if not all, of us have a difference in supply between breasts, but for some women it's more extreme.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Congratulations!!

At this point...don't rock the boat. And most babies have one breast they prefer. Once things get more nailed down, your baby may be more willing to accept both. Or start on the one and then finish with the less preferred side, when baby isn't starving.

I used to do a lot of dream feeding with my babies' least preferred breast.

I had no idea until I had to do this EPing thing how much difference in production would be possible before you really get lopsided.

Just keep on nursing!!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!