Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cracked nipple...

Default Cracked nipple...

I've been watching all the posts for the past week and have gained invaluable information that has made breast feeding much easier. Thank you!

Everything is going great for us, my 10 day old son has already gained a pound since birth! Our only problem is that one nipple is cracked and it's painful when he nurses, even a little painful while pumping. I use the lansinoh after every feeding and haven't used any soap when washing. Is there anything else I could be doing so this heals faster? It's been about a week now!

Thanks again,

Sarah (mom to Sam)

Default Re: Cracked nipple...

Hi BrooklynMom, and Congrats! There are a few things you can do to help heal the crack, but first and foremost you need to make sure Sam is latching correctly. Kellymom has some good tips for healing cracked nipples. I have found expressing some BM and letting the air hit them helps as well. Good Luck
    Maria

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    I've been watching all the posts for the past week and have gained invaluable information that has made breast feeding much easier. Thank you!

Everything is going great for us, my 10 day old son has already gained a pound since birth! Our only problem is that one nipple is cracked and it's painful when he nurses, even a little painful while pumping. I use the lansinoh after every feeding and haven't used any soap when washing. Is there anything else I could be doing so this heals faster? It's been about a week now!

Thanks again,

Sarah (mom to Sam)
    Congratulations on your newborn! Early on, I went through the same thing as you...so I totally understand the pain!

I found the lansinoh cream helpful, but putting breastmilk on my sore nipple helped a great deal as well. After each feeding, I would rub some milk on my nipple and walk around the house topless! It's best for your nipples to airdry...avoid nursing pads and a bra (if possible). When having a shower avoid rubbing the sore area and be gentle when drying yourself off. HTH...it will get better soon--I promise.

You will heal soon. I had terrible pain in the beginning. It finally healed at about week 4. It doesn't sound like yours will take that long to heal. Try changing positions from cradle to football to sidelying(if you can yet). That changes the pressures points and relieves the sore area a little. As the pp said, squeeze that colostrum over the breasts, let air dry, apply Lansinoh, and continue with your top open or off as much as possible. Good luck.

Congrats on your new son. I am sorry you are experiencing pain. Have no fear it will pass. The pp all had great advice. I would like to add that keeping the nipple exposed to air will really speed healing time. I have joked on this forum before that I rarely wore a shirt after the births of each of my children. There is a LLL meeting in BayRidge on Sun the 19th of Nov at 11am. Let me know if you would like the particulars. I hope you are feeling better soon.

PS Hello from BrooklynMama to Brooklyn Mom

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi