Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated

Default Re: Frustrated

W is 7 days old today. The nipple pain is still pretty bad. I had not thought about thrush, but I was positive for group B and had a very long labor. 36 hours from when my water broke befor I had him, I got antibiotics a few times during labor. I was thinking about going in for a weight check this week. He was 7.8 when he was born on day 4 he was 7.2. We have not had him weighed since. Yesterday he had 3 pee and 4 poops.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Being at the breast all day every day for the first 6-12 weeks IS NORMAL. It's not cause for panic of alarm. You are making milk and your baby is eating it while establishign your supply and staying connected to you. That is the way it works. It IS exhausting and overwhelming. But less so if you plan for it and expect it. Your goals for the day should be Feed the Baby. Eat. Change diapers. The end. The most important job you have right now is to feed the baby. And the most important job he has is to PRACTICE eating. Even as the days drag, remind yourself that 6 weeks is the blink of an eye in terms of investment into his healthiest future possible. They grow so quickly. This is what nature intends. That for the first 6 weeks you just hold and feed your baby. Please remember that even if you held and fed him for 12 hours a day that is still a 50% reduction in terms of what he is used to with you. He is used to being with your 24/7 and not having to work for his food. Have patience Mama. This too shall pass.

Way too lazy for formula

sounds like he is doing great with nursing now...if you can get the pain under control things will be wonderful! It is only a week, so the pain could be your nipples getting used to nursing. Do you have a sling or wrap to wear baby while nursing so you can be hands free?

hang in there, you are doing great. AND this time is soooo short, it seems forever but it goes by so fast. before you know it you will be chasing a crazy toddler and wishing for the calmer days of nursing on the couch all day!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Congratulations on your son!
    Hang in there, and you're not going to EP. It's just a temporary waystage. Good thing that his latch is fine now, that will put you on the road to recovery.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamaDuMonte View Post
    W is 7 days old today. The nipple pain is still pretty bad. I had not thought about thrush, but I was positive for group B and had a very long labor. 36 hours from when my water broke befor I had him, I got antibiotics a few times during labor. I was thinking about going in for a weight check this week. He was 7.8 when he was born on day 4 he was 7.2. We have not had him weighed since. Yesterday he had 3 pee and 4 poops.
    Get the weight check. That's easy. Make sure it's on the same scale he was weighed on the first time.

The wets and poops are probably OK. Easier to tell in cloth Just keep track of that. Every diaper should be wet. I don't worry too much about stools myself.

And then get your MW or OB to give you some APNO. And treat baby for thrush too. See if that helps.

Then, make yourself comfortable, get the TV remote, a book, an iPod, and some snack, and chill out on the bed and nurse, nurse, nurse. Enjoy being able to do that with your first baby! Next time, it won't be as easy...you'll have another little person wanting something just about the time baby and you doze off!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hey Klisti, how's it going?
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Things are OK. Still having a good amount of pain. We were at the Pedi on Friday he was almost back to his birth weight. W has had a pretty bad diaper rash, the pedi did not think that it was thrush but prescribed a cream for W and had me call my OB to get some "triple nipple cream" I could not pick that up till yesterday. We are working on nursing, I am going to have to introduce a bottle probably next week, I have to go back to work at 7 weeks and I want to make sure that he will take a bottle. DH will be happy about that, he doesn't feel like he gets enough time with the baby b/c he is always nursing.

Pumping is still way more comfortable than nursing is but we are working on it. I dont want to EP if at all avoidable.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

IMHO, there is one of two things going on if you are still having pain at this point, although they are not exclusive:

1. Your latch is off. That can be for a variety of reasons, ranging from things you have no control over (shape of the palate and strength of suck) to something you can control, like positioning. It may improve with time -- there are many mamas here who have had some weeks of pain until baby got bigger -- or with practice and being careful.
    2. Thrush.

Bear in mind that first 30-60 seconds can be toe-curling. If it's still hurting after that, then I wonder. But if a mom tells me it hurts at the beginning...well, that's what happens to me too.

If you are going back to work that soon, you don't have to regularly introduce a bottle. Just try it 1 or 2 times and leave it at that. Then when you are with baby, do not pump. Just nurse, as that will be better for your supply and better at avoiding further issues with nipple confusion.

When I see a baby with a diaper rash and a mom with nipple pain, I think yeast

I want to say that there was one mom here who had severe pain nursing both her kids, like bleeding and everything, and it finally went away. So there is totally hope.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi Klisti. I was wondering how you were doing. I had real bad pain with my DD for a long time too. I didn't have thrush, but I think it was a combination of a few things. I had somewhat flat nipples, a bad latch, constant nursing and no time to heal. Things got better after about 6 weeks or so. A few suggestions...Medela makes shells for sore nipples. Wear them between nursing. Keeps them away from your clothing and helps draw the nipple out in case its a little flat - makes latch on easier. Ice your nips before nursing to numb them. Rinse with warm salt water after nursing and slab on some lansinoh to promote healing. Hope it gets better soon~
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Just to add in my two cents--I have had to go back to work with all three of mine, the last one at 6 weeks. When they are little like ours you really don't need to introduce the bottle early. I admit that with this one I never gave him a bottle before I went to an inservice conference two days before my first day back at work. The younger they are, the more likely it is that they will take to the bottle. Since you have had problems with nursing, I would stay away from the bottle as long as possible.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting