Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing foods at 4 months?

Default Introducing foods at 4 months?

Hi all,

I'm new here, but I'm not sure where to turn. I've been getting so much conflicting advice. Most of the advice I've gotten is not to introduce foods until my son is 6 months old, but I feel like he's ready now. On the other hand, I was weaned abruptly at 6 weeks old and I can pinpoint the neuroses that has caused so I feel totally guilty even considering it. Here's where I'm at:

My son is now 4 months old, and has had exclusively breastmilk since he was born. He is nearly 20lbs - this is not unexpected, we didn't name him Thor thinking he would be a pipsqueak. I work 3-4 days/week so I pump regularly and keep an eye on my production. And I produce a lot. I had oversupply issues for awhile, but I put a lid on it, and his appetite has caught up. I estimate right now he eats about 40-50 oz/day.

This past week, he has seemed unsatisfied. He stopped sleeping through the night, and now wakes 2-3 times. He has started teething, so I don't know for sure if this is discomfort or real hunger... but my gut says hunger. Also, I'm physically exhausted. I have a high metabolism myself and it just seems like there isn't enough food or sleep in the world to save me.

My husband has been dying to introduce foods, so he would let him tongue taste avocado or banana early on. At about 2 months, he sucked in a pea sized amount of each on different occasions, and ate them. I banned this game at that point, but the baby has been fascinated by our eating ever since.

So if anyone is left reading this, can you please give me some advice and/or tell me if I'm reading his cues right? I am thinking of trying some rice cereal made with breastmilk as his first real food, and bridging into a single meal of homemade purees a day if he takes to it. Is it way too early??
    Last edited by @llli*vikingprin; September 1st, 2011 at 10:57 PM.

Default Re: Introducing foods at 4 months?

Seeming unsatisfied and not STTN are not necessarily signs of being ready for solids. They could simply indicate a growth spurt or teething. Better indicators are the loss of tongue thrust reflex, sitting unassisted, and development of a pincer grasp. Here is a good description of solid readiness: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.c...yforsolids.htm

I would also skip the rice cereal. It is not very nutritious and is converted to sugar once it hits baby's stomach. Better first foods are banana or avocado. If you do use cereal, go for whole grain varieties. Have you considered a baby led solids approach?

wdsmom,
    Thanks for responding. He's definitely both teething and growing, but he hits growth spurts about every 2-3 weeks so that's not saying much lol. I mentioned his waking b/c he had been sleeping 8-9 hour stretches fairly consistently for about a month, then suddenly it's up every few hours. I just fed him a moment ago, barely 2 hours after bedtime. In previous growth spurts, this pattern would go on for a few days, then be followed by a few days of sleepiness.

He definitely has a pincer grasp, guides/holds his bottle when he gets one, puts everything in his mouth, swallows solids, signifies fullness, and all the other signs listed in the article. I'm with you on the banana and avocado, and I only thought of rice cereal b/c it would taste like breastmilk. I don't know a lot about baby led solids, though I'm trying to learn. Are there any definitive resources that I can turn to?

Good advice from the PPs. I just want to add in what my pediatrician would say about solids: until age one, they are just for fun. Until around the first birthday, you want your baby to receive the majority of his nutrition from breast milk, because it's the healthiest, most nutritionally complete thing any of us ever get to eat, and it has everything a baby needs to maximize growth and development. When you compare that to banana or rice mush...

So if you do decide to offer solids, you want to offer small amounts, allowing the baby to gain experience with new motor skills, tastes, and textures without replacing breastmilk in his diet. At 4 months, I personally would not offer more than a teaspoon amount per day, regardless of whether you spoon-feed or take a BLS approach. (BLS rocks! )

I can totally relate to your exhaustion. Both my girls have been around 18 lbs at 4 months, and I always felt drained by that point! But looking back, I feel like what was really draining me wasn't nursing. It was their other needs, particularly their need to be held constantly and to nurse all.night.long.. If night-nursing is getting you down, I suggest checking out Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" for a realistic look at infant sleep and for gentle strategies that can help you encourage longer, more independent nighttime behavior.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"