Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: using milk to soothe

Default using milk to soothe

hi llladies. this is long so i apologize now.

my son needs to suck a lot. he wont take a pacifier regularly, will only do it on rare occasions.

i know that the DCP use the milk as a way of soothing him. i have asked that they use other methods but it always comes back to the over use of milk in my opinion. i have allowed this to an extent because i just cannot stand the idea of them letting him cry.

i think a big part of it is his primary teacher right now is not someone who bf and she has no interest in understanding bf. she claims to understand but it her actions show me that she doesnt. she is not an attachment caretaker. i have watched her while i nurse. that doesnt mean she is bad. she just seems very detached if you know what i mean. i would personally do things a lot different. the past few days she has texted me about how hungry he was and he needed another bottle, then he only sucks a half oz and falls asleep. she even admits "i guess he just needed to suck". i am very frustrated. i feel like i keep repeating the same things.

overall i really love the place and i am comfortable with the teachers. i just feel like this teacher doesnt get it and isnt really willing to put the extra effort in. my son needs that extra effort, esp when there are no breasts around.

SO to my point... today she told me he is moving to the next room soon. i am somewhat happy about it. he will be one of the only little babies in there though, everyone else is crawling or walking. i am not really happy about that but i want to use the opportunity to make it a better situation with the milk. the woman in the next room i know very well from my older son being there. but that does not mean it will be easy to get her to use other methods to soothe my lo, esp if she has older kids in there running around.

What things should i say or give his new teacher to help out with not using bottles too much? should we try to transition to a sippy cup, would that help at all?

any help would be great. maybe i just needed to vent. thanks

Default Re: using milk to soothe

Tough questions!

I dunno, I worry that switching to the sippy would take away that source of comfort for him, when the issue is more that the caretakers are using the bottle rather than, say, dancing him around or rocking him or other things that might work IN ADDITION to the bottle. Can you talk to them about other methods of comforting?

Soon he'll be eating solids, etc., and you won't have to worry so much about pumping milk, so hang in there.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Would it help to send a teeny-weeny 1/2 oz bottle for the times when the teacher feels that the baby is still hungry? I mean, I am sure you're right that he just wants to be held- so if the bottle is a way to get the teacher to give that interaction, maybe it's worth doing?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks. i think you are right about the sippy jomo. i like the idea of a mini bottle for soothing

different teacher today. shes very hands on, bf her 5 kids, i came in to him sleeping away in her arms

I used to send super tiny bottles when my daughter had this very issue at daycare. I also used to put a tiny bit of milk in a bigger bottle. For some reason, the DCP seemed to think there was more milk when I spread the same amount over several bottles. LOL

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!