Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Crisis - Reglan?

Default Milk Crisis - Reglan?

In the matter of a week I've gone from being able to pump 6-9 oz at each session to barely 2-3 oz.

Son is 4.5 months old. At daycare he usually takes 3-4 bottles (5-6 oz) and is breastfed at home all other times. Suddenly he's struggling/pulling to breastfeed, like he's not getting enough.

Possible contributing factors:
    Since baby started sleeping through the night last month, only pumping 1x at night.
    Strep throat last week - exhausted.
    Return of period (in month 4th?!? )

Efforts to increase volume so far:
    Pumping every 2-3 hours at work and home when baby isn't breastfeeding.
    Pumping after each breast feeding session. even if only getting 1/2 oz each side.
    Fenugreek by the fist full (3-4 pills 3x a day per nurse advice)
    Milkmaker cookies - 2 a day (expensive!)
    Oatmeal for breakfast
    Lots of water.

Result - no change.

I'm about out of my frozen stock and facing formula use in the next 3-4 days. I know this isn't the end of the world, but it makes me sad. I had wanted to go 12 months with breastfeeding.

I've attempted consulting a lactation consultant - she said keep doing what I'm doing, relax, it will come. Oh, and maybe come rent a hospital grade pump (I currently use the Medela Advance... which is pretty good).

My doctor has given me a prescription of Reglan - but I'm terrified to actually use it after reading all the possible side effects and the fact that it passes through breastmilk.

Any suggestions? advice? anyone else use Reglan successfully?

Default Re: Milk Crisis - Reglan?

That's a pretty unusual decrease. Are you sure you're not pregnant? That's a common reason for a sudden decrease in supply.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'm positive. Just had a pregnancy test last week.

I might test again. It's very uncommon for supply to drop off that quickly, and when it does, pregnancy is the #1 most likely culprit (but obviously not always). Any other health issues? Thyroid or PCOS?

If you do decide to go with a drug to increase supply, I know a lot of mamas on here prefer Domperidone, but I'm not an expert on that. Hopefully, someone will chime in soon.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Is your pump OK? Like change the membranes. Troubleshoot with the company.

Rent a hospital grade pump. They really are much better at stimulating your supply than any professional grade pump.

-The problem, though, is that pumping is so inefficient that it can take some time to see any rebound effect. So don't expect results overnight.

I'd do another pregnancy test. Or two. That's incredibly rare to suddenly dry up overnight like that.

Do you have PCOS?

I'd take the Reglan and then switch as soon as possible to domperidone myself in a last ditch effort. Like I'd do the Reglan while waiting for the domperidone to come in.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

you say AF came back in 4th month and LO is 4.5months... could it be your AF is about to come again?
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Not to step on any toes, but I would definitely look for an alternative to Reglan. I have not used it for myself, but three years ago with DD, it was prescribed for her due to severe GERD (reflux). I could not shake the feeling that I shouldn't give it to her. I was right...it made her hyper, irritable, restless, etc. I let her skip one dose, and saw an immediate difference and calmness. Later I came to find out about all the side effects, and even the paperwork from the pharmacy warned of this. I was a bit upset that her pediatrician (who we no longer use) was so quick to put her on it versus other medications (Zantac, etc.) that had less severe side effects. Any way, don't want to alarm you, just offering my opinion. Just see if there's an alternative! Good luck! Do you think that stress could be causing your slow rebuild? I know when I am stressed it can affect my supply.