Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arraghh!!! Distracted Baby!!!

Default Re: Arraghh!!! Distracted Baby!!!

my friend had a really hard time getting started with pumping. If you keep it up, you'll get there.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

My baby also gets distracted easily, especially when there are people around and if I'm talking (even on the cell phone). If my husband is near, she'll keep pulling off the breast and craning her neck upwards to look at him! Then she'll smile at me, latch, nurse, pull off again etc. NIP is also very hard for this reason.
    What I've noticed is that, even if she has a few distracted sessions where she doesn't nurse as much, she'll make up for it later with a couple of really good, long sessions or with cluster feedings. This is especially true for night feedings. She doesn't wake up to feed (just fusses in her sleep when hungry, waking me up), and is very focused when feeding in her sleep. Downside is that she nurses four or five times at night!...

Can't pump why? Don't have a pump or didn't get a lot when trying? If the latter, what type of pump were you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Phoebe.s.mom View Post
    Hmm. Well I don't know. I can't pump (which makes me crazy irritated), so I have no idea. :-(
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

I have an Ameda purley yours. I used to could pump in the early begining, but now I am lucky to get 5-10mL. Sometimes I have hooked myself up (its a double and sat there for 30 min and gotten NOTHING!!!) A really good pumping session is about a half ounce, but that is so sporadic and rare, I can't count on it. I also have a Medela manual, and I can rarely get anything from that either, the first time I used it I got almost a half ounce and since then, it has been almost nothing. Maybe .5 mL sometimes. I had quit puming because I really don't need too. I am a SAHM, I was just doing it cause I was freaking out about my supply. It would be nice to pump in case I ever needed to, but I just have hard time.

I have an Ameda PY, and IMO it is a piece of junk. I never got much with it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i had the same problem, i just used a nursing cover lol. she would play with that a little bit but it covered her eyes from the rest of the fascinating world

My LO had to spend 13 days in NICU after we'd already taken her home for a few days, and I rented a Medela Symphony from he hospital to pump when she was getting tube fed (they NG'd my milk) and this really helped boost my supply. After I had a huge freezer stash, and had gotten good at pumping, I bought a Medela PISA and still pump about 12-16oz daily. Maybe you could rent a hospital grade pump if needed, but if LC says you're doing good, and weight is good, and diaper output is good... I'd say you're all good and why mess with anything.

I agree. I don't think I will mess with anything at this point. It is just hard on me stress wise when she changes up on me. My LC says to feed her 8-12 times a day, but there is just no way, she won't eat like that and when I was trying to add a feeding, she would stuck for about a minute or two and fall back asleep. So, I will just offer and she what she does and go from there. It's tricky cause, for example, when I was putting down for her nap, she refused me, so I gave her the paci and she settled down, I got up, and was going to leave, but I thought I should try one more time and she ate for about 5-7 minutes. I feel like her nursing times get shorter and shorter! I tried on the other side and she was just about out of it and didn't do much so I just gave paci back and let her sleep. Do you think gulping and loud breathing sounds like and OALD O/S during my let down? It doesn't always happen. I don't even feel my let downs very much anymore.

Oh, and that is nice to know mommal, I had gotten what I thought was inbetween a super cheapie, and the Medela because I didn't think I was really even going to need it, I just wanted to have one just in case. Of course that doesnt' explain why I can't get much from the Medela manual.

I was told they get more efficient, so it's likely that they nurse shorter amounts of time. My DD has nursed around 5-7 minutes since birth, on one side per feed, and only recently has nursed longer on occasion, probably to build my supply back up after we've been seperated. She usually nurses once or twice in the early morning, drinks three bottles during the day, then nurses 2 or 3 times again at night, so she's eating about 5-8 times a day, and is doing fine, according to everyone, so I don't think the 8-12x applies if you have OALD and O/S. The LC told me the gupling and loud breathing is OALD and O/S, and it doesn't happen all the time for me either, and I don't feel my letdowns often, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Phoebe.s.mom View Post
    ... I feel like her nursing times get shorter and shorter! I tried on the other side and she was just about out of it and didn't do much so I just gave paci back and let her sleep. Do you think gulping and loud breathing sounds like and OALD O/S during my let down? It doesn't always happen. I don't even feel my let downs very much anymore.

Hi mama hang in there,

My lovely little angel started to she very distracted about a month ago. She is 7 months old now.. She eats well before naps but thats only 3 times.. then she plays while trying to ea but there are so many things to see she just has to look... yes it drives me crazy because i will just let down and she will have to look then lol.. big mess

so the rest of her calories she gets at night. We co sleep which makes it easier

i dont think your milk supply will get messed up, your little one will eat when she gets really hungry.. even if it is when she sleeps. Good luck