Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arraghh!!! Distracted Baby!!!

Default Arraghh!!! Distracted Baby!!!

My baby is all of a sudden becoming more interested in what is going on around her (16 week yesterday). It has been very difficult to feed her because of the interesting fan on the ceiling. When I try to roll her on her side to feed, she screams and rolls back to look up at and talk to the fan. I know it is normal for them to become so distracted. Do I just wait and let her eat when she is really hungry? I mean obviously I can't force her, but this is super irritating!! She is fussy, but won't eat cause she is distracted!!!! Do I need to be super attentive to make sure she is eating or does it work itself out without too much vigilance?

Default Re: Arraghh!!! Distracted Baby!!!

It generally works itself out, like most breastfeeding problems. Can you nurse her somewhere else, meantime? if she can't see Mr. Fan, maybe she'll remember why she wanted to nurse, in the first place.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

my Phoebe very often won't NIP, so I just wait until we get home and she hasn't starved yet. Sometimes, too, at home she'll get distracted and wait until she's really fussy or tired to eat. It's annoying, but it's not all the time, so I just deal. **hugs**
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Lol, thanks both of you. Actually there is not a room in my house that does not have a fan. We played for a while, then I tried to feed her again after about 40minutes, she screamed when I tried to put her in the nursing position, but would take her paci and close her eyes, so she was tired, I would try to take paci out and insert nipple, but she would have none of that, so I finally just got mad (I know, boo), and gave her her paci and put her down for a nap. This just makes me nervous about potentially messing with my supply. As it is, I feel happy if I can get her to eat 15-20 minutes total and that includes her pulling off, having to relach her and switching sides, 6-7 times a day. But I am going to be calm and just see what happens.

Just go somewhere quieter/darker -- there'll be many more stages and degrees of distraction as your baby gets older - for instance, if i recall correctly, nursing a twelve month old is what it must be like to wrestle with a monkey. Just hang in there - she'll nurse when she's hungry, she's not going to starve herself.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Phoebe.s.mom View Post
    Lol, thanks both of you. Actually there is not a room in my house that does not have a fan. We played for a while, then I tried to feed her again after about 40minutes, she screamed when I tried to put her in the nursing position, but would take her paci and close her eyes, so she was tired, I would try to take paci out and insert nipple, but she would have none of that, so I finally just got mad (I know, boo), and gave her her paci and put her down for a nap. This just makes me nervous about potentially messing with my supply. As it is, I feel happy if I can get her to eat 15-20 minutes total and that includes her pulling off, having to relach her and switching sides, 6-7 times a day. But I am going to be calm and just see what happens.
    You're not going to mess with your supply if you are feeding on demand. She's getting what she needs as long as she has enough wet diapers.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I don't remember if you've said so in other posts, but have you been to see an LC for a consultation? I was freaking out for a long time after we came home the 2nd time (from NICU) b/c DD had severe jaundice, and problems eating, so when she was only nursing 5-7 minutes on one side, I freaked. Turns out she was getting a TON of milk in that short amount of time. I have OALD and O/S so she had to adjust to handle it, and she's gone from the 25th percentile to the 50th for weight, and she only gets 12oz of EBM a day when I'm at work, so she must still be getting enough

I have been to a LC, she thinks I am okay right now. Latch isn't as deep as ideal, but she gaining and I think her diapers are okay. I don't think I have OALD or o/s, but I don't know. I know she gulps, and gulps and gulps and breathes hard when i have a let down, but I just thought that's what happens when you have a let down, right? I have never sprayed her or anything when she comes off.
    Last edited by @llli*Phoebe.s.mom; September 1st, 2011 at 11:48 AM.

pretty sure you can have O/S and OALD w/o spraying... I seem to.... pumped 8oz this 8:30 this morning and 5oz at noon. I don't leak, but sometimes after LO hasn't eaten in awhile, I get pretty full and if she comes off, I can see milk squirting out, but not often.

Hmm. Well I don't know. I can't pump (which makes me crazy irritated), so I have no idea. :-(