Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding at night only???

Default Breastfeeding at night only???

My 9 month old has been excusively breast fed. I have pumped since returning to work and she has only ever had breast milk. I am wanting to get her off of the bottle. She is taking a sippy cup very well but still is on the bottle for at least a couple of feedings. She only nurses when I have the day off and also at night. My question is, over the next few months I would like to transitition her to regular cows milk and off of the breast. I would like to only nurse her at night.....my question is does the body allow for that?? Could I slowly stop pumping during the day and allow her to nurse at night only? Will my body continue to produce milk?

Default Re: Breastfeeding at night only???

Weaning is a process and a journey. As your DD eats more solid foods and drinks more liquids from a sippy cup, she might look to nurse less and less. my oldest DD weaned herself at 11 months and we never switched over to cows milk.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Yes, you can definitely nurse just a couple of times a day and still produce milk.

Until a year, breastmilk or formula is supposed to make up the majority of a baby's dietary intake. Breastmilk or (to a lesser extent) formula have all the right ingredients to support healthy growth. Animal milk is much farther from ideal. And in the US, the recommendation is to delay the introduction of cow's milk until the baby is a year old, the explanation being that plain cow's milk can irritate the intestines and cause anemia. In Europe, however, the recommendation seems to be different: European docs seem to be okay with introducing animal milk at around 9-10 months. IMHO, it pays to play it safe and either keep offering breast milk until your baby is a year, or if that isn't an option, to offer formula. Animal milk would be the least preferred option.

As the PP said, weaning is a process and often you don't have to overthink it- you can just let it happen. Is there any particular reason why you're worried about this right now? Maybe we can help you find a solution, or at least set your mind at ease...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have just read that it can take a good while for a baby to wean....I love the time we cuddle at night and wouldnt mind that going on past a year. She really doesnt nurse much other than night now while I am at work. Days that I have off we are breast feeding only....I just dont want to wake up and a year is here and stop. She is fine with only nighttime feedings I just didnt know if once 12 months got here if I could stop my pumping at work and still continue a milk supply for the nighttime or if I need to keep my same pumping schedule to maintain milk.

Oh, great! When I read your initial post I thought you meant you wanted to nix the bottles and pumping now, not at 12 months. At 12 months, a lot of moms pump-wean and transition to nursing only when they are together with their babies- which can include daytime on the weekends, or not, as you please.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

So at 12 months I can stop pumping??? If I stop pumping I wont loose my milk supply? I am so confused as this is the first time that I have nursed one of my babies. My initial goal was 6 weeks....then 4 months and now I cant imagine her stopping ( I love the bond that I have with her and I love our moments of nursing.....but I do know that the pumping is alot of work and if I could stop that during the day and still continue to produce milk for nighttime feedings or for the times that we are together I would like to do that. She doesnt drink alot of milk during the day as she is eating more and more. Any advice or suggestions are welcomed!!!

Well, if you pump-wean at 12 months you will probably see your supply reduce quite a bit, since milk supply = demand and you would be demanding a lot less from your body. But as long as you continue to nurse, you will continue to make some milk.

ETA: It is so lovely to hear that you started out with a 6 week goal and have made it to 9 months! That's truly awesome.