Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding HELP!!!

Default breastfeeding HELP!!!

FTM and I am trying not to give up on breastfeeding. I have been supplementing with formula because in the hospital my son has one rough day with breastfeeding. My milk came in the next few days after I got home and I was able to get a total of 4-5 oz total out of both breasts. My family was here and we were out doing things and I was unable to pump/feed as much as I was supposed to. It has been a few days later and now I am only able to get 1-2oz out of both breast. I do not want to give up and I have been pumpin more freq and attempting breastfeeding more with my son. I am looking for any help on how I can get my milk supply back up again. I have been stripping my son down and doing the skin to skin contact but I am really worried I am not going to have success. I appreciate any info. Thank You!

Default Re: breastfeeding HELP!!!

You're doing good!

Is your baby acting upset or anything? Your body will regulate to your baby and alot of the time you don't need as much as you started with.

How much are you supplementing? Why do you feel you need to supplement so early?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Your baby is much more efficient than a pump at getting your milk to transfer.
    I also had a rough go at it w/ my DD#1.
    I nursed every time she was awake and I nursed her atleast 12 times a day until she became a breastfeeding expert, I was just along for the ride!
    wet and dirty diapers were my trophies.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

If you are pumping 1-2 oz every time you pump, there's nothing wring with your supply. Most moms start out making more milk than the baby needs, because when there's a lot of milk it's easy for the baby to get it out, and that way the baby is certain to be fed while he masters the art of nursing. But making extra milk is a waste of energy, so after a while your body decreases production to match demand very exactly.

As the PP said, the best thing you can do right now is to nurse from the breast as much as possible. At this stage, you want to make sure your baby nurses at least every 2-3 hours during the day, and every 3-4 at night, and if he wants to nurse more often than that, great! Let him. There is nothing better for supply than unrestricted and frequent nursing.

It sounds like you have been doing a lot of bottles with your new baby. This is generally not recommended, because it is very easy to get milk from a bottle when compared to the breast, and many babies rapidly learn to reject the breast in order to get a nice easy bottle. If you can shelve the bottles until 4-6 weeks, and concentrate on mastering breastfeeding, do so. If your partner or family wants to get in on the fun of feeding the baby, remind them that there's more to baby care than sticking a bottle in the baby's mouth. Babies need to be diapered, bathed, held, rocked, wrapped, and someone has to sing them lullabies. In 4-6 weeks, they can start giving a daily bottle without as much risk of messing up breastfeeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

great advice from previous posters

Nursing transfers much more milk than a pump, so if you're getting 1-2 ounces with a pump you can be assured that your baby is getting MORE than that per nursing session. Supplementing with formula is a slippery slope - each drop of formula your baby drinks is a signal that your body is not getting. Breastfeeding works based on supply/demand. Each time your baby nurses it signals your body to make that amount of milk. If your baby is nursing 10-12 times per 24 hours than your body will produce that much milk. If your baby is only nursing 3 or 4 times and is taking bottles for the rest of the day, your body is only getting the signal to produce milk at those 3 or 4 times throughout the day.

You really need to send your body the right signals in the early weeks. This is when your supply is established. After 6 weeks or so, bottles wont be as detrimental to your supply. Is there a way to get your family to help with other things in the house which would allow you to have a few days of doing nothing but nursing? Spending a few days nursing around the clock will do wonders for your supply

You CAN do this mama Breastfeeding is natural, but that doesn't mean it's EASY. You both have to figure this nursing thing out - and you will It takes some work and some time, but you can have a very successful nursing relationship with the right start. Nurse, nurse, nurse - as much as your baby will allow, and in time you will be nursing like a pro
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet