Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding water to breastmilk

Default Adding water to breastmilk

Is it ok to add water to breastmilk? Sometimes I only pump 4 oz and my LO thinks she needs 5 oz so I will add an oz of water.
    SAHM to a beautiful baby born 05/13/08 I"m so in , to make money for my baby, enjoying every minute of it

Default Re: Adding water to breastmilk

I think it would be fine since your baby is over a year.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I don't know much about it but, I see she's about 3 years, I don't think is dangerous or anything. If she was younger I would reconsider it.

And, why does she think she needs 5 oz? I mean, does she ask for more? (Just out of curiousity )
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

I could imagine a 3 year old being super stuborn lol I remember my bonus girl at 3. She was the boss for sure!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma

How old is your daughter? If all her nutrition is still coming from breastmilk, I would encourage you not to water down your milk. It will fill her tummy more, but contain fewer nutrients than her body is asking for. How many ounces during how many hours does she get in bottles over the course of a day?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Sorry I don't know how to update the information to add my new daughter, who is 4 months old, to my signature!! So she is only 4 months old. I only add maybe 1/2 oz to an ounce of water and that's only for like one bottle a day. Like if I'm leaving her and I can only pump 4 oz than I will add 1/2-1oz. But if I"m going to be w/her than I'll keep the bottle at 4 oz.
    SAHM to a beautiful baby born 05/13/08 I"m so in , to make money for my baby, enjoying every minute of it

Oh, only 4 months? No, definitely no water! I know you are only adding a very modest amount of water to one bottle a day- but there are 2 reasons not to add water:
    1. Your baby may genuinely need more to eat.
    2. With a young, exclusively breastfed baby, it is a little too easy to throw off the baby's electrolyte balance, something which can make a baby sick.
    Therefore, IMO it is better to stretch a bottle with some formula than to stretch it with water. Best of all, obviously, would be to pump more... Is that a possibility for you?

Yeah. No diluting the breastmilk for a child under a year. Pump more or supplement. You shouldn't add any water to the mix at all until your child is over 6 months old.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ozziesmama View Post
    Sorry I don't know how to update the information to add my new daughter, who is 4 months old, to my signature!! So she is only 4 months old. I only add maybe 1/2 oz to an ounce of water and that's only for like one bottle a day. Like if I'm leaving her and I can only pump 4 oz than I will add 1/2-1oz. But if I"m going to be w/her than I'll keep the bottle at 4 oz.
    I did this a couple times too before I figured stuff out more. Has your baby been fussier after the watered down bottle? My lo would get really fussy. I agree with the other posters that it throws their little systems out of balance.

I agree w/ pp's I wouldn't add water. But at 4 months, I would think 4 oz in a feeding would do it. My DH would give DD 3 oz at a feeding at that age. Are you/DCP thinking she needs more because she's fussing? Maybe she's just wanting snuggle/momma time?