Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 weeks and my baby is being hungry

Default 8 weeks and my baby is being hungry

My baby just got 2 months and he isn´t being filled when he eats, he was eating every 3 hours and now seems like he needs to eat every 2 hours, shoud I give him formula or should i give him every 2 hours to be able to produce more

Default Re: 8 weeks and my baby is being hungry

he was eating every 3 hours
    Wow! Im jealous! My little guy is 9 weeks and has yet to space feedings like that or anything near that

Maybe your LO is having a growth spurt?

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Oh and I would suggest not giving formula. Eating often doesn't mean LO isn't necessarily getting enough...Diapers are the best indicator of input. As long as there are the right amount of poops and peepee diapers and weight is good...no worries

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

It is very normal for a baby to change his feeding frequency. The best thing you can do is to follow his lead and nurse more often. Feeding on demand is what enables you to produce the right amount of milk. If you supplement with formula, that's a ticket to an inadequate milk supply: every time you give your baby formula and he skips a feeding at the breast, your body interprets that as reduced demand and responds by reducing supply.

If you're ever in doubt about your supply, just watch diaper output. If your baby is peeing enough in a 24 hour period, he is getting enough. At this age, he may poop every day, or multiple times per day, or he may go up to a week between poops.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My nine month old often nurses every two hours. It is completely normal for babies to eat very frequently, and it is best if they are fed whenever they are hungry. I would nurse whenever your baby displays hunger cues, and not worry about formula unless your baby has an inadequate number of diapers, as described above. Supplementing will most likely diminish your milk supply.

Yep. Totally normal. NOT reason to to panic or supplement. Feed on demand and you will make enough to feed your baby. Your baby will need more milk as he grows. The only way to get you to make more is demand more. Always feed on demand and you will make enough.

Way too lazy for formula

Agree with PPs!! When i'm home, my 21 month old will nurse every two hours sometimes. But you're right, the more frequently you nurse, the more milk you'll make. Keep up the good work Mama
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it