Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying not to give up :(

Default Trying not to give up :(

So my son will be two weeks old tomorrow and from the very beginning breastfeeding has been a tremendous struggle for me. First of all, my son has really strong suction. Which in it self is a good thing, but I'm not sure it is helping the situation. The nurses at the hospital called him piranha boy because he bruised me so badly- which I am sure had to do with improper latching as well. Long story short, I have flat nipples and at first they were bruised and bleeding. I can't say how heartbreaking it is to see your baby's spit up have a pink tone because of your bleeding nipples. Now, the nipples are healing but it still hurts so bad when he nurses, especially when he first latches on- I'm guessing because he is pulling my nipple out. On top of that, my breasts hurt when he is not nursing, I'm guessing from engorgement that hasn't gone away yet. I'm so frustrated, I don't know what to do. I really want to breastfeed for at least six weeks before I start pumping so I can alternate between the bottle. I guess I am looking for some tips on breastfeeding with flat nipples, and to know whether this pain will ever go away. I don't think I can last another 4 weeks of this. I am also frustrated from reading that if you are doing it properly it shouldn't hurt. I had a lactation consultant and many nurses say that he has a great latch, so are they wrong?

Default Re: Trying not to give up :(

hi mama! sorry it has been tough. you can do this.

how many diapers is the baby having?

i dont have experience with inverted nipples but i looked it up on the kelly mom website and they have 3 links that hopefully will help:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lp-mother.html

look it over and let us know how it goes.

are your nipples cracked? what is the pain like? do you use lansinoh cream?

I'm not sure about flat nipples but I don't agree with the statement it shouldn't hurt. Everyone has a different idea of what pain is. What is discomfort to one person is excrutiating to another isn't bad to another. But it does get better.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

@mtmama, Baby is having a wet diaper every two hours or so. That is another question, I don't know if I am feeding him too often. He seems to be wanting to eat every hour to hour and a half, but I also think he uses me as a pacifier because he won't take one. Nipples are cracked but are healing over, they almost look normal. The pain is like a pinching, and then they burn afterwards. And the nipples are sooo sore to the touch.

Hi mama! Sorry you've been having a rough time so far. You're awesome for hanging in there! I promise that it does get better- I also had pretty flat nipples and my first daughter literally tore them up. But they did heal, I went on to nurse her for 3 years, and eventually the constant use drew my nipples out and now the "high beams" are on all the time.

The feeding frequency you describe is absolutely normal. It is very typical for breastfed babies to eat every 90 minutes or so, since breastmilk digests fast and infant tummies are tiny.

Bloody breastmilk is icky-looking, and it's definitely freaky to see your baby spit up pink milk, but I promise that it will not hurt your baby.

Pain when you're first beginning to nurse is... Well, some level of pain is probably normal. But what one mom will classify as discomfort another woman might call pain, so I am with the PP there. From what you describe, though, I think there really is something going on that is above and beyond the typical "breaking in" ouchiness. The burning and soreness in between feedings are suggestive of 2 options:
    1. Thrush http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html
    2. Vasospasm http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/...blanching.html

In your shoes I would want to see another lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for a second opinion.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"