Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping through night already?

Default Sleeping through night already?

DD is 9 weeks old, and has been sleeping through the night mostly since about 5.5 weeks (older DD did the same). I am EBF and am a bit concerned that I should wake her during the night to eat. I actually have to set my alarm, as she doesn't typically awaken!! I welcome the extra sleep, but at the same time, I am worried this is not in her best interest (or mine as I don't want my supply affected.) She's gaining well (does have reflux issues, possible MPSI). Nursing sometimes goes well even though I wake her up, but other times, I cannot get her to nurse. I don't feel right forcing her to eat if she's not interested. But I think she could go for 8 hours without nursing! I did talk to her doc about it, and he said to let her sleep. For some reason this just goes against my instincts. Any thoughts or had this experience???

Default Re: Sleeping through night already?

I let my baby sleep through at 5 weeks. I would pump to relive engorgement and we ended up using those bottles so my DH could take the baby to give me a break in the evening.

Way too lazy for formula

What I'd like to know...is what magic you use to make your little babies sleep the whole night so young! I want the trick!:P

DS was sleeping through the night at 2days!! At first the NICU had me waking him every 4hrs if he didn't wake himself, but at 2 weeks the ped told me to start letting him make his own sleep schedule. I am glad I did, because now at 4months he wakes between 2-3am to eat every night. The way I looked at it is; he knows when he's hungry and is preprogrammed to make sure everyone else knows it too! Get sleep while you can because everyone told me it wouldn't last and I didn't believe it, now I want my 9pm-6am sleeping baby back!
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilycurly View Post
    What I'd like to know...is what magic you use to make your little babies sleep the whole night so young! I want the trick!:P
    Well, I think it was just dumb luck on my part! I did a few things to help 'though. First, as she stayed awake a bit more during the days, I would play with her, talk to her, etc., to keep her awake just a bit longer. Not too long 'though as a baby who doesn't rest well, doesn't sleep well at night due to over tiredness! I also started a night time routine (early I know, but I believe it helps!) Around the same time at night, even if she was awake, she was changed into her pajamas, I changed into mine. We nursed in my bed with low lights and a TV playing in low volume. Or if I didn't want the TV on, I have a cool musical toy my SIL gave her...it's a Slumber Buddies frog that plays soft music or nature sounds and emits soft light that makes stars and a moon on the ceiling. It has a great soothing effect on her (both my girls are super responsive to music, so I use it to ease them into sleep). Sometimes she will take a pacifier and I'll sway her to the music, and once asleep lay her down VERY slowly. I waited until there would be no nipple confusion before even offering the pacifier. She only really takes it to sleep and then not always. The key seems to be having the house settle into a peaceful calm (that means having my three year old asleep first! LOL) My husband and I just try to make it calm and peaceful. Hope this helps!

We went through the same thing. I stopped waking DD2 and found that she makes up for it first thing in the morning. Vice versa if she goes through a stage where she is eating less during the day (like when it got hot here).
    ERF, EH and sometimes a bit of a mom to my 5 yo Monkey and the Calico baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilycurly View Post
    Meh. It's not real. Anything longer than 4hours is considered STTN. And it always changes. Literally every 4-6 weeks the entire first year. I was simply saying at 5 weeks I wouldn't wake a child who was having a block of sleep that was sleeping 4 hours or longer. If and when you get long chunks of sleep at night, cherish them, relish them and enjoy them. But do NOT spend anytime worrying about them when they stop. Don't worry about what changed or what you need to do to get them back. They change as they let go of naps as they hit milestones and as they teethe. The only thing you can count on for the first year in terms of sleep is that is will continue to change. So just remember ANY time you get more than 4 hours in a row, you have have arrived. Your babu IS STTN!

Way too lazy for formula