Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Production for One Month old

Default Production for One Month old

My LO is one month old and while I produce enough milk for her to nurse and grow I do not produce enough to pump and store. I am taking fenugreek and drinking the tea, but I cant seem to boost production. Suggestions? Should I switch to exclusively pumping and just bottle feed?

Default Re: Production for One Month old

congratulation , momma!
    I also had a plentiful milk supply but b/c I did not have a pressing need to pump, the few times I tried to, I had little success.
    If you need to pump and store for work or school there is information on how to pump and store milk under the Resources tab on the top of this page.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Congrats on your LO and welcome to LLL!

Are you trying to boost your supply a little bit to have a freezer stash? What is your goal? How much are you producing when you pump? When are you pumping? Before/after a feeding? Morning? Night? How long do you pump for? How often are you pumping? Just a quick Remember - your LO is more efficient than any pump.

I heat oatmeal also boost milk production. And you are supposed to take enough Fenugreek so that you smell like maple syrup - it may be a larger dose than recommeded on the bottle. I suggest not EP. It's a harder route in the long run, and you may or may not pump enough. Nothing replaces that nursing bond that you share with your LO.

When my DS was born, I pumped every morning for 5-10 minutes so that I could have a freezer stash for when I returned to work. I pumped 1-2 oz a day, and stored every 3 or 4 oz. By the time I returned to work, I had 100+ oz. I also pumped in the morning because that's when my supply was the highest. Please tell us what your goal in pumping is so we know how to help you.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Welcome! Great question from the PP: what is your goal? Are you going back to the workforce, and that's why you need to pump? Or are you staying home, and pumping because you are worried about your milk production? Some other reason?

Either way, the solution to your dilemma is NOT to wean your baby onto the bottle and pump exclusively. Exclusive pumping (EP) is much, much harder than nursing, or than combining nursing and pumping, for the following reasons:
    - Babies typically are way more effective at emptying the breast than the pump is. That means babies are better at maintaining and increasing milk supply than a pump. EP moms often struggle with making enough milk. And if you already feel like you're not yielding much at the pump...
    - Babies get more efficient with time. By the time most babies are a few months old, they can get a complete meal in under 10 minutes at the breast. Pumping does not get more efficient: if it takes you 20 minutes to pump a bottle today, it will take you that same 20 minutes a year from now, and you'll have to find that time while caring for a mobile and active baby.
    - Milk from the breast is always clean, fresh, immediately available, and at the right temperature. Unlike bottled milk, milk in the breast can't spill on the floor, sour in the heat, spoil in a busted refridgerator, get forgotten on the counter, and you don't need to stand in the kitchen warming it up while your baby screams.
    - Nursing in public is difficult at first, but rapidly becomes easy to do discreetly. Pumping in public is almost impossible to do discreetly!
    - Nursing is more than just nutrition. As time goes on, it becomes a very valuable mothering tool. Nursing will immediately soothe a baby who is crying due to a bump to the head, or a shot, or teething, and is the world's best way to get a cranky baby to sleep.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

These are good questions. Sorry, I didnt provide all this information. When the LO is fed, she takes about 45 minutes to eat on both sides and then sometimes still acts like she is hungry by rooting or opening her mouth. I would like for her to leave a feeding without this response. My goal for banking milk would be to allow someone else to take a night feeding and also to be able to leave her for more than 2 hours with someone else. I will be returning to the workforce, but work from home so this isnt as big a concern. I guess my main goals would be to boost supply and to build a bank to give me a bit of a break.

EPing is NOT time saving. Nor will it fix the "response" you are seeing. Honestly, when I was starting with EPing and had a 1 month old -- my fourth baby has a cleft palate and is unable to nurse -- ALL I did was pump and feed the baby. If I took the feeder out of his mouth, he started rooting again. He ate all the time, just not from the breast but from a feeder.

So...IME, what you are going through -- having a baby who seems constantly hungry -- is totally NORMAL. Absolutely rough, yes. But it will pass.

The issue with having someone else do a night feeding is that you will have to get up to pump anyway unless you want your supply to go down overnight. If you are already just making enough, don't do that.

To build up a little supply, make sure you have a good pump; one of the cheap ones from X-mart won't cut it for 99% of moms (I have a great supply, and I still don't do well with those pumps). So that would be one question I have: what kind of pump are you using and have you gotten the right size of horns? Pick a time of day to pump and pump one side and nurse the other. Switch back and forth, over and over. Or pump after every feeding when baby goes down for a nap.

You may need to take more herbs (there are others you can try as well, such as goat's rue and blessed thistle), try some oatmeal or look into domperidone.

Look into the book "Making More Milk." It's in the LLL store here.

Persist with this. I would give anything to be in your shoes. Nursing is much, much easier than pumping, and breastfeeding is not all about the milk. There's way more to it, and pumping and bottlefeeding is not the same at all.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

. Great advice from aprilsmagic! When it comes to EP, she KNOWS what she is talking about!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Because I live it. And it stinks. If you don't HAVE to, like because baby cannot physically nurse, don't do it! It's a short term gain, long-term loss situation, and I'd hate for a mom to get stuck in this situation.

Something I did not mention but is a big challenge... If you don't have someone else there to help with baby, often you end up pumping and feeding at the same time, and holding a baby to feed him correctly in that case is challenging. I have never felt more tired and more like a milk machine than I do with this baby. He's 7 months old, and just recently, I felt like I could come up for air. Even with all the issues with my first, it didn't take 6 months to feel OK about things. But our family still revolves around when mom has to pump. It makes just going to the store, for example, a production.

ETA: something that was mentioned but not explored was how a pump is less efficient. Switching could make your supply decrease, simply because a pump is not as effective as a baby at removing milk. If you switched, you would probably find yourself pumping a LOT more than nursing to make up the difference, and some moms just can't even then.

You could try renting a hospital grade pump to see if that lets you pump that little extra.

And nobody mentioned trying pumping just after a feeding, or even during a feeding.

It takes some time to stimulate the extra production, so don't give up just yet on being able to bank a little milk.

And it also depends on your pump. If you don't have a good one, you won't be able to pump much, if any.

But.....and you might not like this this is a short period of time. Once your baby is taking solids OK, you can leave baby for a few hours, and it will be OK. For the first few months, I just take baby everywhere with me. If I need to go to the hairdresser's, DH goes with me to manage the kids. That sort of thing. I get wanting a break -- I can't leave this baby with anyone other than DH because of the feeding issues, and he's 7 months old, and heaven knows I could use a break -- but these first few months will fly by. I swear it.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; September 1st, 2011 at 12:24 PM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

This is very helpful. Maybe LO is getting enough to eat and I am just making the right amount.

I will try to find some of these other herbs and increase my Fenugreek intake. We rented a hospital grade pump so I def will try to use it more.

Thank you again for all your help.

There is also a chance that your LO just likes to nurse for comfort so when she continues to root she is looking not so much for milk as for a mommy pacifier. My first was like that as well as my current LO. Honestly he rarely unlatches without encouragement (unless, of course, he decides that seeing what Sissy and Bubba are doing is more interesting than nursing. At least he lets go now--he used to turn to look at them without letting go--ouch!) If you are concerned about how much milk you have watch diapers; output is your best indication of input.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting