Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Flailing and crying during breastfeeding

Default Flailing and crying during breastfeeding

My baby boy is 12 days old and ever since he was born, he would 'freak out' while at the breast. He can startle himself quite easily. Anyway, he will start feeding and at some point look like he's going to sleep. A few seconds later, he will startle awake, wailing, feet kicking, arms flailing and it will take me a little while to settle him back down. After he's calmed some, he will frantically try to take the breast back just to fall back asleep a few sucks later. This can go on for a long time. Sometimes he just plan cries and seems to refuse the breast.

Is there anything I can do about it? He hates swaddling for the most part and cries harder if you try to restrict his movement but it seems like his movement upsets him. I don't think it's an overactive letdown problem because he can handle most letdowns fairly calmly. He's gaining weight well and has decent poops and pees so I'm not worried about him gaining. It is just so stressful to feed him most times.

Additionally, because there are so many latches/re-latches in a feed and because when he 'freaks out' he tends to pull/bite at my nipple, both are fairly sore. What can I do to help this?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Default Re: Flailing and crying during breastfee

sounds like my DD early on... very likely could be reflux and/or OALD (overactive letdows) with or w/o OS (oversupply)

http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

I know how frustrating it can be to have your precious newborn flail about .
    I had to support both my ds4's chin and my breast to help him comfortably stayed latched.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Can you try nursing him in different position? Is it worse at some times and not at others?
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Thanks. He's usually okay after a feeding so if it is reflux, it isn't bothering him too much. He definitely is fairly gassy though. I have been trying to keep him more upright during feedings which seems to help. There are 2 times of the day that it is more a problem, or so it seems. First is evening/early night (6-10pm), and the second is early morning (around 6am). The past 2 days he's been throwing in a third at about noon.

He also wakes up and whimpers or shrieks during a nap sometimes and his hands flail. Don't know if it's nightmares (can he get those?) or something suddenly causing him pain like reflux.

the 1st might just be "witching hour" type fussiness, and the morning might be because your supply is highest in the morning. I am still quite sure my DD has silent reflux, as she gets hiccups a LOT and is often very restless when laid on her back after feeding, but just doesn't spit up much and is pretty laidback overall (doesn't cry much). I think my OS is still more of a problem though b/c she's still gassy, too, but doesn't seem to have any intolerances or allergies per my pediatrician. Hope it gets better for you soon, it's seeming to get better for us lately
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmcmom View Post
    Thanks. He's usually okay after a feeding so if it is reflux, it isn't bothering him too much. He definitely is fairly gassy though. I have been trying to keep him more upright during feedings which seems to help. There are 2 times of the day that it is more a problem, or so it seems. First is evening/early night (6-10pm), and the second is early morning (around 6am). The past 2 days he's been throwing in a third at about noon.

He also wakes up and whimpers or shrieks during a nap sometimes and his hands flail. Don't know if it's nightmares (can he get those?) or something suddenly causing him pain like reflux.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong