Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIP 20 month old

Default NIP 20 month old

DS is 20 months old and I really no longer feel comfortable nursing him in public... mostly if and when my family is around. I don't want to hear the comments. DS and I are comfortable continuing to nurse, and we will do so until we feel otherwise.

Anyway, I want to express to DS that we only nurse at home and not in public. How do you get this message across to a 20 month old? He tares at my shirt and really puts up a fight in public. Most of the time he doesn't ask until he's exhausted, but there are the few times where he is unbearable. It really breaks my heart.

What is your stategy? Are there any moms with toddlers that still NIP? Or nurse only in private? How do you cope with nursing a toddler?
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Default Re: NIP 20 month old

DS3 is almost 27 months and he still NIPs if he wants to. Its up to you and how you feel about it. I just don't care what people think because I know I'm doing the best thing for my LO.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

imo, 20 months is still a baby. I was able to NIP b/c i wore loose fitting shirts that could be modestly pulled up.
    however, i avoided toddler NIP ing around my DH b/c it made him uncomfortable. but when we were at his parents' house I NIPed b/c my in-laws were cool about it.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I've got a 21 month old still NIP, but you're asking how to give him the message that it's only okay at home right? I haven't figured that out I think it's totally fine to set limits on when nursing is okay, but I'm not really sure babies this age really are able to get it. Well, at least I don't think mine is. I think it could be possible if you keep reinforcing, not really sure. I also know that for my son, when we're in public it's really when he NEEDS to nurse the most because he's around strange people/loud noises or whatever and he needs nursing for security, so i try to let him have that. There are times when i've been a little less comfortable -- like last month i was at a wedding and i literally had to yank my boob out over a sort of high cut dress which was just really weird looking -- so I found a bit more of a private spot.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

DS is 20 months next week. The only place we really nip is on airplanes and at airports, when DS is worn out and out of his element. Otherwise, I distract. I absolutely nip'd when DS was younger, up to about 15 months, but will admit that I concede to DH's/societal discomfort with toddler nip' ing.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manatee View Post
    DS is 20 months next week. The only place we really nip is on airplanes and at airports, when DS is worn out and out of his element. Otherwise, I distract. I absolutely nip'd when DS was younger, up to about 15 months, but will admit that I concede to DH's/societal discomfort with toddler nip' ing.
    DH is starting to get a little uncomfortable with me NIP - which i find annoying. And he pretty much shuts it when I ask him to consider the alternative (thrashing, banging, belligerent 30 pounder)

I guess I should also say that DH and I both work outside the home during the week, and on the weekends we tend to organize outings of no more than 4 hours at a time, just to minimize meltdowns and general chaos. So we don't often find ourselves in the position of needing to nurse right then and there. When it's an all-day ordeal like with travel, I do not care.

I have to say that one of my weirder NIP moments was on a plane. I was attending a conference for work, and was there for business development purposes. I was able to take DH and DS along with me, and they enjoyed the resort while I attended sessions at the conference. But the flights out and back were packed to the gills with other conference-goers. And it was . . . odd . . . struggling with an overtired toddler while exposing far more of my boob than I've ever flashed to potential clients before

I will absolutely NIP if I think DS really needs it, but our lifestyle is such that those occasions are not that common, and the big trigger events are travel-related. When DS starts picking at my shirt and making "milk" signs, if he is insistent, I do typically find some privacy, and some of that is DH's comfort level, some the comments that people will direct at my son ("oh, he's too big to still be nursing" ). But some of it is logistics, too - my son is nearly 3 feet tall, gangly and strong, and trying to get everything situated away from our usual couch/chair/bed can be a bit of a wrestling match with a lot more boob exposure than when DS was younger. I just can't walk around and nurse him in my arms or in a sling anymore, kwim?
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I have taught Libs that we don't nurse outside by just telling her we will ni-nee when we go back in or after we eat or after so and so goes home(I do day care in our home) I have done this since May and she will be 2y this month. She didn't like it at first but I would redirect her with playing ball or something else. My in laws are funny about it so I will leave the room or grab a blanket. hope this helps! They really do get things before we think they do they are smart lil buggers!
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momma2angels View Post
    I have taught Libs that we don't nurse outside by just telling her we will ni-nee when we go back in or after we eat or after so and so goes home(I do day care in our home) I have done this since May and she will be 2y this month. She didn't like it at first but I would redirect her with playing ball or something else. My in laws are funny about it so I will leave the room or grab a blanket. hope this helps! They really do get things before we think they do they are smart lil buggers!
    I would still NIP if Joe needed it, but around 20 months, I tried to cut back on "boredom nursing" by distracting him with food, playtime, or other forms of attention, especially when we were out and about. When he was obviously suffering (hurt, having a shy attack) I would nurse him, but I would attempt to distract him or put him off where that didn't seem to be the case. This resulted in him not nursing in public much at all. Just FYI, my limit-setting may have also brought us pretty close to weaning, which is where we are now. Joe no longer NIPs - in fact, he doesn't nurse during the day at all except under unusual circumstances. Whether or not this would happen with other children, I don't know.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manatee View Post
    I guess I should also say that DH and I both work outside the home during the week, and on the weekends we tend to organize outings of no more than 4 hours at a time, just to minimize meltdowns and general chaos. So we don't often find ourselves in the position of needing to nurse right then and there. When it's an all-day ordeal like with travel, I do not care.

I have to say that one of my weirder NIP moments was on a plane. I was attending a conference for work, and was there for business development purposes. I was able to take DH and DS along with me, and they enjoyed the resort while I attended sessions at the conference. But the flights out and back were packed to the gills with other conference-goers. And it was . . . odd . . . struggling with an overtired toddler while exposing far more of my boob than I've ever flashed to potential clients before

I will absolutely NIP if I think DS really needs it, but our lifestyle is such that those occasions are not that common, and the big trigger events are travel-related. When DS starts picking at my shirt and making "milk" signs, if he is insistent, I do typically find some privacy, and some of that is DH's comfort level, some the comments that people will direct at my son ("oh, he's too big to still be nursing" ). But some of it is logistics, too - my son is nearly 3 feet tall, gangly and strong, and trying to get everything situated away from our usual couch/chair/bed can be a bit of a wrestling match with a lot more boob exposure than when DS was younger. I just can't walk around and nurse him in my arms or in a sling anymore, kwim?
    oh, i totally know what you mean, and i do try to find quiet spots if possible - i've never had a comment about him too big to be nursing, that would piss me off.