Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO very fussy at breast.

Default LO very fussy at breast.

Since the weekend (as well as off and on for the last few months) my DD has been REALLY fussy at the breast, it's a struggle at every feeding. I can barely get her to eat and I know she's hungry. As soon as I get her near my boob, she arches her back and turns away from me often crying or squeeling. I've tried using various positions, walking around, bouncing on an exercise ball, side lying. Nothing seems to work. She doesn't appear to be teething or anything, and otherwise she's a really pleasant baby.

My LO is 4.5 months, she weighs about 13 lbs. I'm trying to do 8 solid feedings per day due to her weight dropping from the 50th percentile to the 25th between her 2 and 4 month dr appointments (dr recommended feeding her as much as I could to try to get her weight up). It's been very difficult to even get 6 in per day and they're not even that great.

She doesn't do overnight feedings, she sleeps through the night from about 9-10pm till 7-8 am, and has been since 6 weeks old. She does have about 5-7 wet diapers per day.

I feel like our nursing relationship has never been that great, always tenuous. I try not to get upset when she doesn't feed, but I know she must feel my tension.
    Mommy to Ophelia
    Born April 16 2011 after 2.5 yrs TTC

Default Re: LO very fussy at breast.

it kind of sounds like your LO might be going on a nursing strike? That's what my LO does...she'll arch her back, cry, and fight. I've been through 3 strikes already. Has anything changed recently? Did you go back to work? Change your soap? Check out this link and see if it applies http://www.llli.org/faq/strike.html

I hope things get better for you guys.

Sounds like a strike, I think. We went away for the weekend and she never feeds very well when we're not at home, and I know that stresses me out any time we go out. Nothing else has changed that I can think of.

I think tomorrow may be spent naked from the waist up (remember to close all the blinds, lol) and her in just a diaper all day, lots of snuggling and skin to skin.
    Mommy to Ophelia
    Born April 16 2011 after 2.5 yrs TTC

I recently found my 2 month old, 12 lb daughter was fussy at breast too. I didn't understand because she easily switched from bottle to breast no problem since she was 3 weeks old. I finally figured out she just isn't hungry every three hours anymore. If I feed every four hours, she is a completely different baby and feeds from breast just fine.