Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nursing all night!

Default Re: Nursing all night!

We are part-time cosleepers, and I work part-time as well, so we've had the ebb and flow of everything you guys are talking about

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments that the less the little one nurses during the day, the more he wants the boob when I'm home; as well as the "move him closer to daddy" suggestion.

Another thing I found helped was to push his afternoon nap later so that he went down around the time I got home from work. That way I lay down with him and nurse him when I get home, and I get up when he is asleep. He gets his comforting in, and when he wakes up for the evening stretch he isn't feeling mommy-starved and he ends up going to sleep much easier. The more I practiced this, the more he got used to me rolling onto my back and slowly popping the nipple out of his mouth. The first times, he woke, saw it in front of him, and grabbed it. After that, he peered up, made sure it was there, and fell back asleep. After awhile, he stopped noticing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I think you have a great sleeper on your hands! Joe would not sleep if he wasn't touching my person ... until he about six months old. Seriously. Folks suggested moving him to another room, but for me, I had to get him off MY BODY and at least next to me on the bed first. Then I had to get him off MY BOOB. Etc. Baby steps. I think if you've got a good sleeper, it's hard to imagine just how lightly some babies sleep! I'd try to inch away from him and he'd wake up screaming!
    This is exactly true. I have four kids. One of them would sleep anywhere, any time and was OK. But my first...he would wake from a dead sleep an inch from any mattress (crib or bed). He would only sleep on a person. The third would only stay asleep if whoever he was sleeping on was perfectly still. If I moved my foot, he woke up. And putting him down in a crib was a recipe for screaming that wouldn't stop just because you picked him up. He was MAD, and he would let you know it The fourth...he is an extremely light sleeper. The slightest noise wakes him up.

Pantley Pull Off I started doing that long before I ever read that book. And then roll away slowly, slowly. It takes some time to get there. I even have to do it with this baby, and he's bottlefed!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    But my first...he would wake from a dead sleep an inch from any mattress (crib or bed).
    This just cracked me up with instant recognition. It was uncanny how Joe could sense a non-human surface from about an inch away and wake up. Seriously, my DH and I would hear about our friends "putting their babies down for a nap" and just scratch our heads and wonder what we did wrong, because from birth, Joe would not be put down ... at all, let alone for a nap! He would sleep, on a person, on a boob, or in a baby carrier, and NO WHERE ELSE.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thought I would clarify, she usually nurses to sleep so it's not perfect. I would've liked to have been able to get her to do to the crib drowsy but not asleep, so it's not perfec, but she does stay asleep in her crib afterwards. Also, she only nurses about 7-10 minutes on one side only so our bedtime routine is in total only about 20-30minutes. I did take great pains to keep the house very noisy in the early months during the day so she'd learn to sleep through noise, which I think helped. I also keep a humidifier running in her room for white noise, which doubles to help with any congestion, too!
    I think you have a great sleeper on your hands! Joe would not sleep if he wasn't touching my person ... until he about six months old. Seriously. Folks suggested moving him to another room, but for me, I had to get him off MY BODY and at least next to me on the bed first. Then I had to get him off MY BOOB. Etc. Baby steps. I think if you've got a good sleeper, it's hard to imagine just how lightly some babies sleep! I'd try to inch away from him and he'd wake up screaming!
    Last edited by @llli*rdh2378; September 2nd, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Wow! Most of these posts sound just like me DS! I thought I was the only one. What a relief to know I'm not alone!
    I have to be right next to him even for naps! He feels for me as try to inch away...lol. Once in a while I'm able to slip away when he's in deep sleep? So how long does this last?

This just cracked me up with instant recognition. It was uncanny how Joe could sense a non-human surface from about an inch away and wake up. Seriously, my DH and I would hear about our friends "putting their babies down for a nap" and just scratch our heads and wonder what we did wrong, because from birth, Joe would not be put down ... at all, let alone for a nap! He would sleep, on a person, on a boob, or in a baby carrier, and NO WHERE ELSE.
    and I totally recognize this! I had people telling me left and right to put him down drowsy...There was NO SUCH THING for that kid. And leaving him meant he would cry and cry and cry and never ever stop. It was terrible. So I gave up. And do you know what...that kid is SEVEN YEARS OLD TODAY.

Guess where he sleeps.

In his own bed.

Alone.

And he does not have to be nursed or rocked to sleep.

It will be FINE. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovinmommyhood View Post
    Wow! Most of these posts sound just like me DS! I thought I was the only one. What a relief to know I'm not alone!
    I have to be right next to him even for naps! He feels for me as try to inch away...lol. Once in a while I'm able to slip away when he's in deep sleep? So how long does this last?
    It lasts until they are ready. I find somewhere in the second half of the first year, I can slip away sometimes, but I have to go back in about 20-30 minutes, do a quick dream feed and roll away again. That extends. Sometime in the second year they can nap alone, but then that's about when mine start dropping naps (the horror!) and it doesn't matter. But my almost 3 year old still likes Daddy to hold him at bed time. And currently, if I go to pump at bedtime, he will often follow me, climb up on the bed, we chat for a minute, and he drifts off to sleep. No tears. Just some sweet time.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rdh2378 View Post
    drowsy but not asleep,
    This is something I have never ever understood. Why? They do learn to fall asleep on their own Eventually. Why rush through babyhood?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Joe goes to sleep drowsy but still awake now, at almost two and a half. This is a recent development, and an awesome one! As a newborn (and as a one year old) that was, seriously, laughable. For us, there was nothing between "let him sleep on you" and full-on SCREAMING. He recognized no "middle position." Techniques and tricks just didn't work. People with naturally good sleepers would explain their routines as though we were just missing some obvious thing that would "help establish good habits," like, you know, kiss the kid on the cheek and put him in his crib! And then he'll sleep! And we'd be like, wanna come over and try a shift? Cuz we could use a good chuckle.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.