Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing all night!

Default Nursing all night!

My LO is 11 months old. We cosleep and I work full time and pump. DH takes care of her during the day. She's always nursed or 'dream fed' at night, but lately it seems like she's nursing all night. Any time I try to take her off the breast she'll root around for it then wake up if she can't find it. This morning I wanted to snuggle w/ DH for a bit before getting up. She literally nursed for 45 minutes, if I tried to get her off she'd fuss. This was around 4 am, about an hour before my normal waking time. She got up with me at 5 as usual, then went down at 6~ish no problems and I was able to get her off the breast to leave for work.
    I Love co sleeping and am not willing to try the CIO mehtod or having her sleep in another bed. She won't take a pacifier, if I try she'll spit it out or grab it out of her mouth and throw it!
    I'm just looking for any ideas on getting her to stay asleep with out keeping her latched on all night!

Default Re: Nursing all night!

My 13 month old is the same way. It is exhausting . I will be watching this post for advice

I got the same thing. Maybe its just normal. I find the less my lo nurses during the day the more she nurses at night.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Maybe try moving her closer to DH if he's ok with it. My LO will stay latched all night if I'm close enough for her to smell/touch me. But if I scoot back just a bit it doesn't seem as bad! Just a thought

My 7 month old does the same thing. It's literally NON-STOP. I am so tired. To make it worse, everytime I get out of bed she wakes up crying. I really need some sleep. I thought as she got older it would get better. I wish I had some advice but everyone keeps telling me I have to let her CIO which I am not willing to do.

Breeze7, that's pretty much where we're at. She'll sometimes sleep if I wake up, but not during the times she figures I'm suppose to be there. First thing in the evening she'll sleep for an hour w/o me, then wake up. In the morning, she'll go down when I nurse her to sleep and I can get out the door, she'll wake DH up after an hour or so.
    I'll try shifting her closer to daddy and just figure on hanging in there a bit longer! My older one nursed at night a lot, but not for an hour straight! But she would also take a binki and loved it, so that may be the difference!

I'd say between 8 months and 14 months were our WORST time for sleep with Joe. He was really active and mobile, and teething, and I was working FT, and he'd just latch on ALL NIGHT LONG, every night. It was exhausting (although excellent for my supply, I'm sure ). Anyway, I don't have much advice except hang in there, but I did do a method recommended by Elizabeth Pantley, the "Pantley Pull Off" where you break the latch as soon as the sucking becomes fluttery. At first, baby will protest, of course. If baby cries, you latch back on, but then you repeat, latching off when the sucking gets fluttery. Etc. I didn't really do it consistently all in one night, if that makes sense. At some point I would get tired and let him comfort suck. But I did at least TRY it most nights, several times. And either he grew out of the comfort sucking a bit, or else it worked, because he stopped using me as a pacifier as much sometime into his second year.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I have never co-slept, and my DD has STTN since she was about 3 months old. She's gaining well and is a very happy baby. I would never let her CIO, but am glad I put her in her own room early on so that she learned to sleep by herself. Our situation is rather unique, though, b/c DH works 11pm-7am, so I've had to learn to sleep alone too. Also, even the doggies who used to sleep in bed with me have taken to sleeping elsewhere. I thought I'd hate sleeping alone, but since I can usually sleep 9PM to 5 or 6AM... I am not going to complain. So, maybe you could try putting her in her own room to see how it goes, and if it totally sucks for you and/or her, go back to co-sleeping. I have a mobicam digital and it has super sensitive audio and night vision, so I am able to still keep tabs on her w/o being in the room with her.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rdh2378 View Post
    I have never co-slept, and my DD has STTN since she was about 3 months old.
    I think you have a great sleeper on your hands! Joe would not sleep if he wasn't touching my person ... until he about six months old. Seriously. Folks suggested moving him to another room, but for me, I had to get him off MY BODY and at least next to me on the bed first. Then I had to get him off MY BOOB. Etc. Baby steps. I think if you've got a good sleeper, it's hard to imagine just how lightly some babies sleep! I'd try to inch away from him and he'd wake up screaming!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I think you have a great sleeper on your hands! Joe would not sleep if he wasn't touching my person ... until he about six months old. Seriously. Folks suggested moving him to another room, but for me, I had to get him off MY BODY and at least next to me on the bed first. Then I had to get him off MY BOOB. Etc. Baby steps. I think if you've got a good sleeper, it's hard to imagine just how lightly some babies sleep! I'd try to inch away from him and he'd wake up screaming!
    This is exactly my DD. I certainly have tried to move her to her crib, but I have not succeeded. We did not intend to co-sleep, but ended up doing so for survival. We live in a small house and her 3.5 year old brother is also a light sleeper. If she starts crying, I then end up having to get two kids back to sleep not just one. She wants to sleep on mommy. Even asleep she knows the difference between mom and dad. If I try to scoot away and leave her next to my husband, she immediately wakes up crying. In fact, as I type this I am sitting in the dark on the laptop with her sleeping in my lap.