Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Drinking faster...when?

Default Drinking faster...when?

So I read everywhere that as a baby grows older, he begans to spend less and less time at the breast because he becomes more efficient and is full for a longer time.

When did this start happening though for yours?

Because my little boy will be 8 weeks in two days and it's still days and evenings of marathon-nursings, cluster-feeds and sessions that go on for up to an hour.

I want to know if I can hope he will regulate soon, I mean I know he loves the breast, but I want to start going out a bit too.
    And his daddy has a hard time bonding with him because baby only wants to nurse, even at 8 weeks.

He's getting so plump too, at least I know I do something good for him.

Default Re: Drinking faster...when?

My DD is almost 4, and I'm having a hard time remembering when the big growth spurts are, but that is my first thought. Also, do you baby wear at all? We had a hard time with DD not crying the whole time DH would hold her until he started wearing her in the wrap. Once we got a wrap, he could wear her for extended periods of time and she would even nap in the wrap with him wearing it. I also found the wrap to be a good way to soothe her without nursing so that I could get things done. I guess it all depends on if your LO is nursing for nourishment the whole time or just for comfort. 8 weeks is still quite young, though, and it will get easier .

I always joke that my baby is in constant growth-spurt. I've honestly never saw a difference when he DID have them because he's such a constant nurser.

I do have a kangaroo-style wrap that I use sometimes, but maybe not enough. The weather is warm and sticky over here so it becomes uncomfortable for us both to go around like that...can't wait for fall to come!

Well, at 8 weeks, he kind of has been in a constant growth spurt . Newborns grown so much, so fast, and their tummies are so, so tiny, that they really to have to eat a lot. Of course, right about the time we accept that and get used to it, they move on to something else that drives us crazy. Try using the wrap more if you can, and if you're DH will use it to, even better. It will be nicer when the temps cool down, and you can also try going topless underneath it around the house (this goes for your DH, too). Babies love the skin to skin, and less clothing leaves you cooler .

with pp. Also, I wouldn't worry so much about your husband bonding with the baby. For a long time, all the baby really needs is his mother. You are his whole world right now, which I know is really hard work and kind of intimidating to think about, but his world will open up in a few months. Your husband will have plenty of time to build a great relationship with your son.

BTW, I think my baby increased in efficiency around 4 months or so. She still needed to be held constantly, though, and still does some days (at nearly a year old). Some of this is personality, too, I think.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

I never knew babies had growth spurts until I had my second baby. For some babies, they just NEED the constant nursing. And it does go away. But for those babies, it might not be fir the first few months, and my third baby...he refused to let ANYONE hold him for the first year of his life, even his daddy!

Daddy can bond in other ways...and the time will come when baby is all about daddy. That third child of mine...he's all about Daddy now. If Daddy is near, Daddy MUST be holding him. Has to get him out of the carseat. Must get his snack. Mom isn't good enough Tell your DH to just wait..he'll get more than he ever bargained for later! Meanwhile, have him change diapers, give baths, hold while you shower, that sort of thing. This passes quickly. I promise. My oldest child is SEVEN today.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My little guy got really efficient at nursing between three and four months. Nursing sessions often last only three to five minutes, except when he is teething - today his nursing sessions have been much, much longer because his top teeth are about to pop through at any moment.

Despite the increased efficiency, however, at nine months he nurses as frequently as he did at nine weeks. Some babies do space out feedings as they get older, but it's not something I would expect.