Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Which pump?

Default Which pump?

My DS is not gaining weight at the rate he should, so his doc has told me to supplement. I'm currently using an SNS at the breast after his usual nursing sessions to try and stimulate milk production (and a sleepy baby). I would like to get away from using formula in the SNS, but I can't afford an expensive pump. Medela is very much out of reach, possibly excepting their single electric "Swing" pump. Is there really that much difference in pumps? How do the Lansinoh "Affinity" and AVENT "Uno" pumps compare? I need a decent single pump on a very tight budget. Not worried about a dual pump as I'm hoping to use this to boost my production now, and then only occasionally as needed. I currently own a Lansinoh manual pump, but it's impractical. Does anyone out there have experience with multiple brands?

Default Re: Which pump?

I bought a Playtex Petite Double Electric pump and my husband had to "fix" it to use the Medela parts (breast shield and bottles) that I was given in the hospital because the Playtex parts leaked all over (and didn't pump very well). That was only $85 at BRU. After that I borrowed a Medela Pump in Style Advance from a friend to use- much easier. Is there anyway you could borrow the pump from someone?
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!

Everyone is different, but I just bought a $40 evenflo pump at target and it is doing better than my Ameda pump was.
    I'd also be sure the ped is using the growth chart for BF babies and not FF ones. Some don't even know there is a separate chart.
    ERF, EH and sometimes a bit of a mom to my 5 yo Monkey and the Calico baby

We opted to rent a pump. Picking it up tomorrow! Hopefully just a few more rough weeks and we'll be ok. DS's latch has gone from usually ok to horrible and has flat out refused to actively suck at all today. I'm so sore!

Rental is a much better bet in your situation.

Any time you might need to sub a pump for baby, you want a hospital grade pump!

I have used practically all brands out there over my 7 years of lactation and my time as an EPing mom, and there is a HUGE difference in pumps, particularly for moms who have to pump a lot. Those cheap-o pumps from the mass market store will not work as a long-term solution for a mom who has to pump more than maybe a couple times a week, and they wear out very quickly to boot. I'd take out a loan if I had to to buy a decent pump.

But instead of relying on a pump, get thee to a lactation consultant as well and get that baby back to the breast!! And I'd have the LC and/or an ENT check for tongue tie perhaps.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'd been avoiding calling a LC due to a bad experience with the LC/nurse we worked with when I was trying to BF my DD. Silly of me. I knew one bad experience didn't mean they'd all be bad. Long story short, we met with one when we picked up the pump. Amazing!! We still have rough times, but things have definitely improved!

!! Please do share your story....it might be the answer to someone else's prayers!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!