Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 wk. old w/ cold ?

Default 8 wk. old w/ cold ?

My 8 week old has a cold with a very red and sore throat. She is not wanting to eat very much. She will nurse for 2-5mins. on each side most feedings. This has been going on for a couple of days and I think my supply is dropping. Since she won't take a bottle I am reluctant to pump because I want her to have the milk available since I am trying to nurse her every 1-2 hours. If I pump it and she is hungry, I can't give it to her by bottle because she refuses bottles. Will my supply correct itself when she starts to eat again? Any suggestions?

Default Re: 8 wk. old w/ cold ?

It's so hard when the little ones are sick. My DD2 got sick at 5 weeks. I just offered, a lot. We needed to prop her up so that she could sleep. Some tylenol would help with the soreness and inflammation. I would probably pump a little bit if I knew it was a short session and she's drifted off to sleep again. Although she may not take a bottle now, she might later and you'll appreciate having a bit of a stash started in the freezer. You won't be 'empty', your breasts are always producing.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

My lo just got over being sick, he is now 15 weeks old but had been sick since about 8 weeks old! My supply dropped as well because he just wasn't wanting to nurse as much. Do you cosleep? I found that he would nurse better as he slept and so that helped to make up some of the lost calories during the day. And don't worry your supply will go back up once she starts nursing better again!

Like the pp post said Tylenol would help her feel a little better to maybe nurse. Just make sure she is having plenty of wet and dirty diapers and you should be just fine.

Your supply will come back when baby starts nursing more. Keep offering, try some baby Tylenol, cuddle up in bed with baby and sleep nurse. You can pump one side and offer the other if you are uncomfortable.

It will be OK. All of my first three babies got a cold around 7 weeks; it's miserable seeing them uncomfortable, but it passes.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Your supply will come back when baby starts nursing more. Keep offering, try some baby Tylenol, cuddle up in bed with baby and sleep nurse. You can pump one side and offer the other if you are uncomfortable.

It will be OK. All of my first three babies got a cold around 7 weeks; it's miserable seeing them uncomfortable, but it passes.
    Agreed.

My 2 years developed a bad cold the exact day we brought the (then) new baby home from the hospital. Didn't take long for a newborn to catch it. Days old and stuffed up already. Just offer and keep offering, your supply will come back at the end. That's the wonderous thing about our bodies, even once supply is "established" it will adjust to the demand accordingly. Both ways. It will pass, hang in there!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness