Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: did i do something wrong? period?

Default did i do something wrong? period?

Morning all.

so i am very worried. my dd is 7 months old and i nurse on demand.

She has been eating more frequently but she is more distracted during the days and so i figured that was why. Well my period just started today. Shouldn't it start after i stop bf? will it reduce completely? She bf when she wakes up and every time she wakes up at night to fall asleep, and all day.

I have given her tiny bits of food here and there but nothing constant. i am worried my milk is reducing? could that be why she eats more often? she isnt that fussy though..

also i dont get as engorged as i used to but i feel like i have enough. i always seem to be leaking...

please, if anyone can give any kind of insight i would appreciate it.

thanks...

Default Re: did i do something wrong? period?

No, there are any number of reasons why it restarted. I demand fed both of my girls and both times it returned at 16 weeks.

Don't worry, I nursed DD1 to 17 months and DD2 is just over a year and we're still nursing. Your period won't be the end of your BF relationship at all.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

With DD AF came back at 8 months, we nursed until she was just over 3. With DS AF came back at about 18 months PP and he is still nursing. My supply usually does drop a bit just before AF starts, but is back to normal within a few days. Your DD will probably want to murse more in those few days before your AF starts since your supply is lower.
    Robin

Remember usually is not always. AF had come back by 4 months with my first two. With my daughter it started the same day she was diagnosed with neuroblastoma--talk about being kicked while you are down! But with my latest LO we are past 6 months and nothing. All three were EBF. I know some women will see a decrease in supply right before their period but it comes back to normal.

Not feeling engorged says that your body is adjusted to how much your LO wants to eat--that's a good thing!

Sounds like you are doing great!
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

thanks ladies Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellll much better

mine came back at 7 months too and I freaked out that I was doing something wrong as well! just so you know you're not alone I've heard they can be a bit wonky at first for some ladies: long cycles and such. I was due for my second period last week, but nothing yet (although I had my typical belly ache yesterday so maybe it's on it's way?). If you do have a drop in supply during your period I've heard ladies here talk about taking a magnesium supplement from ovulation until period to help with that.
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love