Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trouble any advice would be appreciated

Default Trouble any advice would be appreciated

Hi,

My son is now almost 10 weeks old, he had difficulty latching and eating in the hospital and he had low blood sugar so we had to give him formula in the hospital. I would have him nurse for 10mins and then he would be fed by bottle and I would pump until he was done - while at the hospital I pumped and nothing ever came out. When we got home he was having formula still and I was still trying to nurse him he would suck for over an hour at a time and still not be satisfied, but I would still try. I got a breast pump around day 4 and I was able to pump 2 oz at a sitting. Over the first month nursing him was tedious and frustrating because he just didn't latch well so I pumped and pumped and pumped. I was pumping about 5oz in a sitting ever 2-3 hours and i was very consistent at this. The pediatrician said that he would most likely catch on to latching as he gets older and that he did. I would nurse him for about 45mins at a time but still he didn't seem full and was always so fussy. Within the past 3-4 weeks I have been trying to breastfeed more and he latches great now, but my milk supply seems so low that he almost always needs 4oz of formula afterwards. Now when I pump I get 0.5oz out of one and maybe 1oz out of the other.. it's very upsetting because I have been trying so hard and sticking with it so long because I refuse to give up. I have been trying to feed him then pump but the oz never increase and he is still never satisfied. I have tried using fenugreek and it worked well to get my supply up, but the most recent time I tried to take them it caused my son gas issues. I am considering trying Mother's milk, or milkmaid tea but I don't know if that will work. If there is any advice you could supply me with that would be greatly appreciated, I am on my last string before giving up completely and I really don't want to do that because I know what is best for my baby, but continuing this way is so stressful on me and i know that is not what is best for me.

Thank you,
    Anne

Default Re: Trouble any advice would be apprecia

I think that you may be confused. Your baby only needs about .5-1 oz of breastmilk in a sitting. When you feed them 4 oz or more of formula you do that because it doesn't have that specail quality that allows smaller quanities of breast milk to make a baby feel full. Also babies have a hard time regulating how much formula they get from a bottle.
    How is he telling you he needs more after nursing? How do you know when he is done nursing?

Check out this site, it may help you!
    www.kellymom.com
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Default Re: Trouble any advice would be apprecia

This section of the site specifically might help.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/index.html
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!