Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am so SICK OF THIS!!!!!

Default I am so SICK OF THIS!!!!!

So my baby is screaming on the bed because she won't eat. I am trying to nurse her sitting up and she freaks out and won't do it. She will suck for a second or 2 then stop and start crying. So I lay down and try to feed her and she won't take that either and starts crying. I HATE THIS. I am so miserable, angry and distraught. And no, she is not teething. I just don't get it.

Default Re: I am so SICK OF THIS!!!!!

hi mama.

how old is she?

Does she stop screaming when you pick her up?
    It could be:
    -an ear infection
    -reflux
    -indigestion issues
    -over active letdown
    -over supply
    Can you express and give her some milk from a spoon or a cup? It might calm her down enough to latch her on.

Anything else?
    Is she too warm? Too cold? Bored? Dirty? Poopy? Overtired? Over stimulated?
    How have her diapers been? Anything weird?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

she is 17 weeks. I have had so many nice people on here help me, but I just don't know why this is such a battle, everytime I try to put her into the breastfeeding position with me sitting upright, she fights it, and cries, that's why I had been feeding her laying down. I need to be able to feed her upright again so I can function. Often when I feed her laying down she fusses and I have to give her a paci to calm her down, then take it out and try to offer her the breast before she starts crying again. I am so done. She is still crying, but I know she just won't nurse.

If you've posted before, I haven't seen your posts, so I don't know if this is a longstanding problem or a new one, nor do I know how old your baby is, but I will try to offer some ideas. She may have an ear infection (painful pressure changes with sucking), or thrush (sore mouth and throat), could be teething (I know you said she's not, but sometimes in the very early stages it's hard to tell). She could need a different environment (some babies need darkness or more visual stimulation, some need noise or quiet, some need a lot of movement during a nursing session, some need lots of snuggling, others need to be as far away from mama's body as possible). She may be more successful dream feeding than feeding awake. She may have reflux. There are a lot of things that could be going on. I'm so so sorry you're having such a hard time! My first was like that, and I completely empathize with the frustration and exhaustion. Does any of what I posted so far sound like a possibility?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Phoebe.s.mom View Post
    she is 17 weeks. I have had so many nice people on here help me, but I just don't know why this is such a battle, everytime I try to put her into the breastfeeding position with me sitting upright, she fights it, and cries, that's why I had been feeding her laying down. I need to be able to feed her upright again so I can function. Often when I feed her laying down she fusses and I have to give her a paci to calm her down, then take it out and try to offer her the breast before she starts crying again. I am so done. She is still crying, but I know she just won't nurse.
    What type of "breastfeeding posistion" do you use? My friend had some luck with the football hold.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

She has reflux that she has been on Tagament for and I think it has been helping. I would think she would be more upset about laying down than cross cradle slightly angled up. I don't think I have anything else you listed--nothing that I can think of is out of the ordinary. Diapers are barley okay. She will usually have four soaking wet diapers.

Another possibility is that some babies will only nurse lying down. I have a friend whose third was like that. Does nursing lying down usually work? If it does, you might just want to stick with what works for a while until you both start feeling more relaxed about nursing.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I have tried to do football with no luck. I have tried to do crosscradle with no luck. I used to be able to do these fine when she was smaller. I have tried my breast friend, I have always used bobby, that doesn't work, I have tried pillows and no pillows, sometimes she will suck for a few minutes on one side then she is done. I really just don't know what she needs, but I have just absolutly had it. I hate that I am angry, but I am. I am so angry, I don't even want to deal with her. Isn't that terrible!!??

its not terrible, you are having a tough time!

my son who loves to nurse has trouble if he gets too upset. get a cup of water, some deep breaths.

the one night he was hysterical and wouldnt nurse i knew he was sick. i had to walk him around while he cried and i just snuggled him. i took him outside, it just him awhile to calm down.

how old is she?
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; September 7th, 2011 at 08:08 PM.