Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is not eating a growth spurt sign? Help!

Default Is not eating a growth spurt sign? Help!

Hi All

My DD is 12 weeks old today. The last 3 days she has been extremely fussy and NOT eating properly. It is taking her a good 45 minutes to 1 hour to finish her usual 4oz. or 125ml bottle of EBM, and she isn't even getting through the whole thing for half the feeds.

She has plenty of wet and dirty nappies (i've been counting because I am so worried). Today she seems quite sleepy and has had a good sleep after each attempted feed. I feed her every 3 hours but today I thought I would leave her be and let her tell me when she is hungry. She has been asleep now for just over 3.5 hours.

She is also fussy at the bottle. She will give me the hunger cry and root. When the bottle comes near her mouth she cries alot and maybe takes a few sucks before coming off and crying again, hence it taking up to an hour for her to eat. She is soothed by a pacifier. She seems hungry and not hungry at the same time and I am literally going mental! She ate really well last week. Was this her growth spurt? Is she taking a breather this week?

I tried changing teat sizes too in case this was the problem but the medium flow ones just make the milk dribble down her chin and she coughs so I have switched back. This was recommended by the paediatrician at her check up last Friday. He otherwise did not seem concerned... am thinking I need a new doctor!

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be very worried? I am a FTM and forever on this website! Any advice or stories you might have would be appreciated!

Ta,
    xoxo

Default Re: Is not eating a growth spurt sign? H

It hasn't been my experience that fussy not-eating is a sign of a growth spurt. The not-eating associated with growth spurts that I am familiar with goes like this: babe is getting ready to grow and gets really fussy, eating all the time. Babe grows, and then seems more peaceful and eats less, sometimes sleeping more. What you are describing sounds more typical of teething or ear infection, some sort of discomfort. Is she chomping on your knuckles or on other things - her bottles, etc? That could be another sign of teething. Do her ears seem to bother her if you gently press or pull on them? That could be another sign of ear pain.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I agree with PP. My little guy is 3 1/2 months and I noticed the same thing you are describing about a week ago... He has turned out to be sick and has a decrease in appetite. But I still keep offering. Hope you figure it out mama!

Thanks for the reply ladies. I had a quick look online about ear infections as I know nothing about it, but not really sure that is what is up. She has no temperature, doesn't grab ears and isn't showing signs of a cold. I gently pressed on her ears but didn't get a reaction.

She is putting hands and tries to get toys in mouth. Is this a sign of teething to come? It seems a little soon.

When she woke from her long afternoon nap yesterday she ended up guzzling down about 5oz of milk which is more than usual. She went down for her evening sleep and she slept through until her usual 2am feed. She only had about 3oz then fell back asleep with no fuss at all. Up again at 6am for breakfast where she downed her usual 4oz. Again only little fuss but we ate in 30 minutes.

I hope everything is ok with her. I will keep tabs on her today and make a doctor appointment if she continues the weird eating habits! Maybe something that I ate the last few days made that batch of milk taste different? Hmm. I'm such a worry wart!
    Last edited by @llli*yum.mum; August 30th, 2011 at 03:04 PM.

I thought my little guy had an ear infection as well. But he didn't. And it is a little early for her to be teething. Babies always keep us guessing. Maybe she has a little stomach bug or something? She is nearly 3 months so technically not a newborn... Maybe her eating patterns are changing a little...

Well, she is still doing it on and off. Will eat normally at her 3am then 7am feeds, the have only about 2oz during the next two or three feeds. It is really driving me mad and i'm getting a bit upset about it! I even tried a bit of formula but she wouldn't have it and actually preferred the EBM. So the paediatrician suggested polyvisol or something to add to my milk if her weight gain is still slow next month. I really am at a loss and not sure if I should stress less about it since she is still eating, even though it's less than the recommend amount.

I guess I just have to keep offering and accept her fussing for now

does your LO BF at all or solely drink EBM from bottles? If the latter ,maybe you have a lipase issue that she's objecting to
    Check out this link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

It is absolutely NOT too early for baby to be teething. My son just turned 3 months, and he already has his first tooth. He's been cranky, slobbery, and was eating A LOT to get comfort. Tooth 2 is on the way.

My daughter is 6 now. She had her first 2 teeth 1 week after turning 3 months old.

So, don't discount the teeth. Follow your mommy instinct. If you think it's teeth, it might be. You can feel the gumline - if the bottom middle is raised, you might just have some fun on the way!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

My thought, on reading this, was actually teeth or a cold. IME, both can interfere with feeding and cause those exact symptoms. I wouldn't sweat it...just keep on offering.

One of my babies had pretty much constant ear infections with none of the typical symptoms. So it can happen.

And I would NEVER EVER EVER add anything at all -- and especially that particular vitamin your ped suggested -- to my milk. That vitamin tastes TERRIBLE and will make her think your milk tastes bad. If you really want to give vitamins, give separately.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for the link. It did cross my mind about the lipase but my milk doesn't ever smell funny or taste bad. I make sure I store it properly and make sure all bottles and bits and pieces are steralised. I dislike my paediatrician. He seems to think plenty of wet nappies and regular poos means every thing is ok. I'm going to see my GP on Monday and ask her to refer me to another for a second opinion. So far no weight loss (I have a baby scale) but I don't want DD to be malnourished. I'm feeling so down at the moment and am always close to tears! I wish there was a baby user guide!

My sister also said not add the vitamin to the milk as her premmie hated it. We use the same paediatrician... He loves polyvisol it seems! Sis is a Herbalist and has offered different vitamins to give separately if I think DD really needs it. Both her boys got the non needle vaccines and herbal alternatives their whole infant lives and are so very healthy and happy.

How do doctors check for ear infections? Does it pass by itself or require antibiotics?
    Last edited by @llli*yum.mum; September 2nd, 2011 at 06:21 PM.