Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this too harsh for a 3 month old?

Default Is this too harsh for a 3 month old?

I'm returning to work this Thursday full time. My 3.5 mo daughter will not take a bottle AT ALL! She will be staying at the nursery where I work, and I feel very blessed that my principal is going to allow my to go nurse her during the times that I had arranged for pumping.

The problem is that my daughter eats every 2 hours, but my pumping times are every 3 hours. Will this be too difficult for her? Should I leave an ounce or formula for the nursery teachers to give her in case she gets hungry? Or will she adapt fairly quick?

I feel silly because she is my third child to breastfeed, but she is the first one that would not take a bottle. I keep imagining her crying for the entire three hours that i will be gone!

Default Re: Is this too harsh for a 3 month old?

I think she will be okay. It might take a little while to adjust. DS2 wouldn't take a bottle and I couldn't come home to feed him, and he would only take a few ounces over the course of an 8 hour work day. He did make up for it at night, and you might find your DD does the same thing. I think babies always find a way to make up for it one way or another, so her nightwakings might increase a bit, but perhaps not too much since you still will be feeding her a good bit during the day.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I'd leave a bottle of EBM. She might refuse it the first couple days, sometimes it just takes some kids longer to give into the bottle. I'm sure she'll adapt, but I think it would be easier if it was your milk, which is familiar, versus formula which is foreign. Good luck!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I would think that leaving formula wouldn't help because your lo wont take bottles.

She will need to adjust but will be fine when she does. You sound worried about returning to work. Have you seen the answer sheets on this site? http://www.llli.org/nb/nbworking.html They might help you. Also this site sells some LLL recognized books about what to expect when returning to work.
    You and your LO will be fine!!!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!