Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ativan

Default Ativan

I have a lot of anxiety, my Dr. prescribed me Ativan .5 mg does anyone know if this is safe for my 4.5 month old son? Thanks in advance

Default Re: Ativan

Other posters may have more information, but if not, InfantRisk has a number you can call and the nurses there can give you up to date information about Ativan and can suggest alternatives if it is not safe.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    Other posters may have more information, but if not, InfantRisk has a number you can call and the nurses there can give you up to date information about Ativan and can suggest alternatives if it is not safe.
    Thank you scienceteachermommy I will try Infantrisk.

I take 0.5 mg of Ativan as needed and it works wonders. Anytime I get "wound up" and tense and can't catch my breath I will place one under my tongue and it does the trick! I don't seem to get sleepy from them either. Fortunately, I don't need it very often but when I do it calms me down quick.

Last edited by @llli*marlena21; November 21st, 2011 at 08:11 AM.

I heard most benzodiazapenes are not rec'd for breastfeeding mamas, especially in the earlier, EBF months. They stay in your system a surprisingly long time. I have taken them (like before going to the dentist) while nursing Joe, but only when he was older and eating solids, and I could safely go six hours without nursing him. However, I'd definitely check with Infantrisk - the recommendations may vary based on your diagnosis. For some mothers, the benefits may outweigh the risks.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I heard most benzodiazapenes are not rec'd for breastfeeding mamas, especially in the earlier, EBF months. They stay in your system a surprisingly long time. I have taken them (like before going to the dentist) while nursing Joe, but only when he was older and eating solids, and I could safely go six hours without nursing him. However, I'd definitely check with Infantrisk - the recommendations may vary based on your diagnosis. For some mothers, the benefits may outweigh the risks.
    Thank you Joe's mom I'm no longer on the Ativan, it wasn't helping any. My Dr. put me on Zoloft instead.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*usa View Post
    Thank you Joe's mom I'm no longer on the Ativan, it wasn't helping any. My Dr. put me on Zoloft instead.
    Oops! Sorry, I didn't see that this was such an old thread! Glad you've worked it all out.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.