Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need nursing help...

Default Need nursing help...

Daniel (4m as of 11/21) is fussing everytime he eats and I hope something straightens out soon. He will nurse for like 5 mins and then needs to burp. He burps but then doesn't want to go back to eating. This has been going on for a couple of days. It doesn't matter which side I start on which makes me think it is not an ear infection (b/c then he'd favor one side). He might be teething b/c he is now drooling more than he has been. However teething hasn't bothered a nursing relationship with my other children...

Nomally he eats every 3 1/2 for 10mins a side.. I am soo sore and frustrated. You can't force feed a nursed baby...I don't know if I should just push him out to four hours and hope that fixes it or what...My other three never had these problems...You'd think by number four it'd be easy peasy lol

I was going to start oatmeal with him next week but now I want to wait til we get this straightened out. I don't think it's just a 'me' issue b/c he won't take a bottle from my husband either and he normally takes one easily (not often maybe 1 every other week).
    Any ideas???

Default Re: Need nursing help...

When he nurses, even though it's not as long as normal does he seem unsatisfied? Does he want to nurse again in another 30 minutes to an hour?

As babies get older they get better at getting the milk out quicker. My LO will be 4 months as of 11/27 and sometimes he will eat only for 5 minutes one side and then sometimes he will eat for 20 minutes. As long as the baby's diapers have been regular and he seems regularly satisfied then I dont see a big problem.

The drooling, like you said, may be a sign of teething and could be affecting him too. All babies repsond differently to teething so maybe you have a more sensitive one this time around.
    July 27 2011

Both my kids nursed ALL the time around the 4/5 month mark. They also had signs of teething...drool and whatnot. They did a lot of frequent "comfort" nursing in addition to the nursing for longer stretches. I never had them on a schedule so who knows if they were going 3 minutes or 3 hours. My son is 14 months old and seems to nurse a lot in the morning and then there are days he want to constantly be on and off. When he gets like that it's usually a tooth. I would wait on the oatmeal. The WHO even reccommends no supplemental food until the baby is 6 months. Even doctors will admit that there is no value in needing babies to eat solids before their gut is closed and ready for foreign substances. Check out baby led weaning.