Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tea decrease milk supply?

Default Tea decrease milk supply?

So, someone just told me that drinking tea - regular OR decaf - will reduce your milk supply. Is that true? Or maybe just a myth?

Default Re: Tea decrease milk supply?

I think that is a myth, at least for real tea (Camellia sinensis). However, the herbs peppermint and sage are often used to decrease supply, and are often used in tea form. How well they work I don't know.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Tea decrease milk supply?

Caffeine may make some babies fussy or irritable, but very little of the caffeine the mother drinks actually passes into the milk. Sage, parsley, and peppermint in large quantities can reduce milk supply, but unless you're drinking quarts of herbal tea every day, I suspect it would be hard to accidentally get enough of them to have a significant impact on milk production.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--