Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much milk production at 6 weeks?

Default How much milk production at 6 weeks?

OK so really that is my first question i am in my 6th week of pumping....i am making about 12 oz a day......he was a 10lb baby...so i have always had to add formula to feed him enough.....is that low??....I am pumping 4x a day....thanks

Default Re: How much milk production at 6 weeks?

Are you exclusively pumping? If you are, you need to be pumping more often, at least every 2-3 hours. I think the moms that EP here would also recommend using a hospital grade pump if you are not already.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

How long are you gone during the day? Most babies take about 1-1.5 oz of breastmilk per hour.

Big babies generally do not require formula supplementation any more than average or small babies do. I mean, my latest LO was born at around 7 lbs, 12 oz but I got her up to around 18 lbs on breastmilk alone. Can you tell us how and why you ended up supplementing, and how much you are currently supplementing? We may be able to help you ditch the formula and simultaneously help you increase your pumping output.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

ok lets see.....i am using a Medela...double pump..is that a hosital grade?.....started n the hospital...he was a c-secton baby...was 10lbs...and lost to much weight so i had to use formula....and pump till my milk came in better.....and it just stayed tha way.....right now he eats about 3-6oz a feeding...so i am about half n half....

Are you breastfeeding at all, or are all of his feedings coming from bottles, whether it is breastmilk or formula? What does your average daily schedule look like?
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

He is eating every 3-4 hours during the day and 1-2 x's at night.........

A) if you are pumping and not nursing, you are NOT pumping enough. You should, at 6 weeks, be pumping every 2-3 hours. No less than every 4, and that's only if your supply is adequate, 9(ie, pumping about 24 oz of milk every 24 hours). Around the clock. One session should be between midnight and 5 AM.

B) you should be pumping with a hospital grade pump. For a grand total of 120 minutes every 24 hours. That is KEY.

C) Size doesn't matter. I had a baby more than a pound heavier, my first and I exclusively BF him. You can do it too

D) if you can get baby back to the breast, your supply will naturaly increase. You jsut keep switching sides until baby is full.

E) If you decide to continue to EP, you need to pump more -- it's practically an obsession -- and that will mean you pump more often than he eats.

It's totally possible to completely pump enough to feed your baby. I do it every day. But give y ourself time. Because a pump is much, much less effective than a baby at removing milk (and the pump I suspect you have is much less effective than a hospital grade pump), it may take as much as 14 days to see any increase. But there's a mom here who started with practically nothing, and she is now able to pump 100% of what her baby needs. So it can be totally done!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for all the ideas and help guys

ok so what is a hospital grade pump???

A hospital grade pump is just a very good pump that is used in hospitals and is often available to rent from lactation consultants or medical equipment rental services. They are designed to serve multiple users. The Medela Symphony and Medela Lactina are examples of hospital-grade pumps. What sort of pump are you using right now?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

For me, the hospital grade pump is like having a baby with an OK latch versus a terrific latch. It's much smoother. The suction is better. It's less traumatic. I'm able to let down better; once in a great while I can get a second letdown, which I cannot get with any professional grade pump. I get consistently at least 1 oz more per session, and over the course of the day, depending on how many sessions I can get in, it adds up to at least one more feeding, with a hospital grade pump. With a professional grade, I get less. It would be OK, I'd get enough milk every day, but I would have to pump an extra session, and I hate, hate, hate pumping.

The other thing to consider is to make sure you have the right sized horns. The wrong size will impact your supply significantly.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!