Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First Day Pumping at Work

Default First Day Pumping at Work

So this is my first week back at work. Major mixed feelings. DD was great at the sitter so that's not so much of a worry. I only left her there for 2.5 hours the first day.

I nursed her when I dropped her off and pumped 2 hours later. I got 2 oz, which I will give to her in a bottle tomorrow and pump tonight and hopefully have enough.

Here is my concern. Will I begin to pump more and more milk at time goes on? I have a hands free bra and did compressions and massage as I pumped and got 2 letdowns using the letdown button on my PISA.

My DD is 12 months, and eats solids really well, so I know I don't need a huge quanitity of BM at the sitter, but I still want her to have some.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Mirkka
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Default Re: First Day Pumping at Work

Would you have nursed at that time if you had LO with you? It has been a while since I had a 12mo nurser (it is coming soon, though) and I remember both of them nursing a bit further apart. If that is closer than you normally nurse I wouldn't expect to get a lot of milk. You might wait until you get into a full schedule to decide whether you are pumping enough.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I would say, probably. But to some extent it may depend on how much your DD would have nursed if you were around. My pumping output definatly was low when I first started.

My DD nursing times are always different and changing. Sometimes it's 3 hours sometimes it's 30 mins. So I thought I should try to pump at that time and see what I got. I had major supply issues so I was not able to pump *extra* BM during my mat leave for a freezer stash and collected a few bags of BM in the freezer to get through the first few days at the sitter. I'm really hoping that my output goes up. Any tips to get more BM at each pumping session?
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

You can also try "Mother's Milk" tea from Traditional Medicinals. I drink it every day and it really seems to help! I found it at my grocery store & it was recommended to me by my pediatrician.
    MommyBell - so in love with my little girl

Little girl born 5/7/11 - growing so fast!!!

Bear in mind that you are a mom of a 12 month old baby. You aren't going to pump a ton as most babies that age are not nursing like a newborn. Your supply isn't quite the same as it would have been. If you want to increase it, pump more often than you might expect, like every 2 hours, and be patient. Since a pump is less efficient than a baby, it could take a week or more to really increase your supply. And don't forget weekends. If you really want to increase your supply, you might try pumping a bit on the weekends.

I also find herbs pretty helpful.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

here's what kellymom site has to say...http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Thanks for the feedback. I seem to be getting a few drops more each day. The link was helpful. I already take fenugreek and dompreidone, I will try the mother's milk tea and see if that gives me a boost. I will also add some pumping sessions on the weekend. Would power pumping help in this situation?
    Mirkka

We love and love

It might. Never hurts to try!

ETA: the tea is fenugreek and a few other herbs, FYI
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!