Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Encouragement

Unhappy Need Encouragement

DS is 15 weeks and has decided he loves his pacifier after hating it before. One day last week I decided to give my nipples a rest and popped it in to give it a try (previously he would spit it right out) and now he wants it all the time. He has always slept though the night 9pm-6am, but at 3 months he started teething, got thrush and reflux and started waking up once (between 2-3am) to eat. My trade off for that is he would eat every 1-2hrs during the day, which I was fine with (I work from home). Now that he loves his paci he all of a sudden doesn't want to nurse for 4hr stretches. I offer the breast every couple of hours just to see, but he doesn't want it. I am so worried about losing my breastfeeding bond with him so soon and damaging my supply. If I try to take the paci away he will be ok for a little while then start acting like he's hungry and when I offer he just starts screaming and won't stop until I give in and put the paci in his mouth. Please let me know everything is going to be ok and he won't wean himself this early!
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!

Default Re: Need Encouragement

I'm sorry. You probably feel like you're being replaced by a little piece of rubber. I don't have any experience with the pacifier, so I can't give you any advice on weaning him off of it (if that's what you want), but I just wanted to say that I think it will probably be okay. Right now, you want to be sure he's actually getting enough to eat. Is he having enough wet diapers? It's too soon to tell about the weight gain, but that would be another thing to look at. The pacifier won't feed him, and he'll still be getting hungry, so he will still need you! There are babies who regularly go 4 hours between nursing. I know it's really hard to break out of your groove where you are feeding more regularly, but if he's still getting enough milk, then I would try to relax about it. My daughter (who nurses every 2 hours around the clock) has had periods where she was less interested in nursing, but has gotten back to normal after a few days or weeks. So it could just be a phase.

If you want him to nurse a little more, maybe you could try to offer him a dream feed right before you go to bed. If he's super sleepy, he may be more inclined to accept the "real deal" instead of his dummy.

And what would happen if you just don't give in, don't give him the pacifier when he acts like he wants it? Would you be able to calm him in other ways? It may be worth it to just throw the thing out.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

I wanted to chime in that my little girl (who is also 15 weeks) and had a paci since she was 2 or 3 weeks old (probably won't do it that early next time, now that I know what I know), also LOVES her paci to go sleep. She will wake up if her paci falls out and she is not yet in a deep sleep and cry till she gets it back. Sometimes I would get very alarmed because she would be fussy yet not take my breast but only take her paci!!! What I would do is give her her paci till she was calm and offer the breast until she would take it. If she wouldn't take it, I would just give her the paci and she will sleep for a little while and then take the breast later. It is not uncommon for my little bit to go 3+ hours for a feeding, she usually takes a 3 hour nap in the afternoons and I think everything is fine (I am just now starting to believe it :-) just see my previous posts for my anxiety about her feeding :-)). I really think from what I have read in other peoples posts that 3-4hours is FINE (someone correct me if I am wrong), in the morning from about 5:00-10:00 I think I nurse a lot in bed, so I think it all works out. I put her in bed around 8:00-9:00 and don't feed her again till 12:00-or 1:00 and I have been doing that for a while. I just think that some babies don't eat as often as they get older (again someone chime in if I am wrong). I hope that helps some.

I hope that things work out ok. **hugs** please keep us posted.

My DS2 really liked the pacifier too but he would always take the breast when he wanted to eat. Unlike his older sister and his younger brother when he was done eating he didn't want to nurse for comfort. I would keep offering him the breast and keep an eye on the number of wet and poopy diapers. If his output is good, he is getting what he needs. If you see his output go down you might consider taking the paci away.

Of course, if he is like my kiddos, he will start doing something entirely different next week.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Yep, it changes ALL the time around here. For a little while he loved to have the paci to comfort suck (which he used to do a lot of) now he wont touch the thing ever, and just yells if you try and give it to him.

my daughter had a phase where she wanted ONLY the paci to go to sleep - i tried to nurse her to sleep, she would nurse for a while and then start screaming and not calm down until i give her the paci, then peacefully drift off. i felt replaced and jealous of the paci too. eventually i started trying to take it away as much as i could - i would let her have it only if she cried, but first tried to nurse or distract her in other ways. i found that the less she used it through the day the less likely she was to need it at bedtime. eventually we kicked it completely around 6 months and she was able to fall asleep nursing every time. i don't know if this helps but hopefully your situation will resolve soon!
    Baby girl born 10-15-2010

with tongue tie - hardest thing i've ever done, and the most rewarding. Also , and

Thank you all so much! My husband keeps telling me that it's ok also, but I guess I just needed to hear it from other Moms. I do feel replaced by the paci, but am coming to terms with it- for now. I have come to the conclusion that (I think) this is a phase of intense sucking need and he needs it. He does seem to want to nurse when he's hungry and sleepy (he only used to nurse to sleep, but now sometimes wants the paci and sometimes nothing) and diaper out-puts seem good still (I am keeping an eye on them). I am going to give it a week or two and see if the sucking need goes down/away or if I need to wean him off the paci. I guess I am just so used to the routine we have settled into (kid's like clockwork!) it scared me that it's all changing. Who knew this Mommy/breastfeeding stuff would be so anxiety filled?!
    Thank you again for the encouragement!
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!