Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9.5 month old losing interest in nursing

Default 9.5 month old losing interest in nursing

My daughter is 9.5 months old and weighs around 17 pounds. At her last doctor's visit a couple weeks ago the doctor said she had fallen off her curve slightly but that it was nothing to worry about because she was still gaining and it is common with BF babies. So my problem is that she seems less and less interested in nursing. She still takes 3 4-ounce bottles of EBM a day at daycare. She is eating solids at least 3-4 times a day (baby-led solids, so pretty much whatever we eat, and I send her to daycare with lunch, which is usually cottage cheese or yogurt, fruit, and veggies). We don't really restrict her from solids, we just give her maybe 1/4 of what we would eat and if she eats it fine, if not, no big deal. She usually eats it. I nurse her in the morning around 6, then when she gets home from daycare, Daddy gives her a snack, then when I get home we eat dinner around 6:30, then I nurse her around 7:30 at bedtime. I pump 3 times a day for her at work, and right before I go to bed for the freezer/extra. She is sleeping through the night in a crib in our room. She gave up nursing right when I got home from work about 3 months ago-- she pretty much just wanted to play, which is why we started giving her a snack and a drink of water instead of trying to get her to nurse when she was clearly not interested. Now it seems like she is not really that interested in nursing before bed, or even in the morning, and my pumping output is also starting to decrease. I used to be able to count on 4 ounces every time I pumped but now it is more like 3. I'm worried she is not getting enough milk. Should I cut back on the solids? Should I start trying to ramp up my production again? Or is this the normal transition to toddler-hood, with maybe not needing so much milk anymore? I'm sad. I wanted to wake her up in the middle of the night last night to nurse her. But I was just sad, not nuts :-) I wanted to keep nursing her in the morning and at night for as long as possible even though I planned to pump-wean at 12 months. Any thoughts?

Default Re: 9.5 month old losing interest in nur

I don't know if your baby is getting enough milk, or not. Hopefully someone else will have some insight on that one. But it strikes me that you are kind of giving up a bit, when it comes to offering the breast? Maybe that is a misperception on my part. I know that a lot of babies lose interest in the breast around this point, because the world is such a big, interesting place for them. You can roll with that, and accept it, or you can kind of push the baby to nurse more by taking her into a distraction-free zone. Once she's cuddled up with you in a nice dark bedroom, she may remember that nursing is fun and decide that she can play later... And if you can just get through this rough patch, your chances of keeping those morning and evenings feeds for a nice long time definitely increases.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would definitely not say I'm giving up offering. I have only been able to nurse her in a dark quiet room since she was about 7 months old, so that's where we do it. And she will nurse for about 3 or 4 minutes. Then she wants to roll away. Sometimes I can get her to come back by gently restraining her from rolling away; other times she cries and arches her back and makes it clear she would rather go to sleep or crawl around. I really only have the opportunity to nurse her twice a day-- morning and at bed time. On the weekends I am always offering, and she will nurse occasionally, but I sometimes end up pumping because I get painfully full at times. It is frustrating. I wish I could be around her all of the time and offer a lot more. But I can't.

Keep offering. She doesn't seem interested now, but if you quit offering, she will wean. But if you keep offering, one day, the world just won't be so interesting. It's a phase, and just hang in there...it will go away. Someday.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks! This weekend I realized the true importance of her normal daily routine-- frequently on weekends, in our efforts to cram all of our family time in, we think, oh, she can nap in the car, or we can sleep later, etc. But this weekend I made very sure that I stuck to our normal wake up times, and her nap times, and cut back a bit on the amount of solids she was getting (she has been getting a lot of solids because it is so much fun to watch her eat), and she nursed BEAUTIFULLY Saturday and Sunday. So if we have to hang out closer to home on the weekends for the next couple of months, that's what we will do. The best part is that we got in several long walks and stretches of playtime that would have otherwise fallen by the wayside in our efforts to get "stuff" done.

I'm glad this weekend went well! I just wanted to add to what pps said that I've tried to make nursing part of play time over the last couple months. When she is nursing, I let her play with my face or make silly faces or silly sounds at her. I play with her toes. Sometimes when we're playing on the floor, I'll undo my bra and pat my chest to offer to nurse. Usually she grins really big and comes crawling over. Even if she only nurses for a minute, she seems to enjoy this as part of our fun time together. This is probably easier for me since I'm home with her most of the time, but it might be worth a try.

I also think it might be worth it to cut back the solids a little bit. It sounds like she's eating good food, but of course nothing is as nutritious right now as your milk. If that doesn't help the nursing, you can always go back to offering more solids.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010