Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipation foods?

Default Constipation foods?

My LO is 8 months old and took awhile to "like" some solid foods, we haven't been pushing it, but lately he's nursing less (especially on one side) and no matter what I've been feeding him seems to have more "solid" poops, which I know is normal, but he always is grunting and seems to be constipated....

I've cut out carrots, baby oatmeal and dairy (although he looooves yogurt) and he still seems to have problems. I give him tons of fruit and then avocado puree w/ olive oil at dinner... Any suggestions for other good foods (I know the "p" fruits/veggies help) or others to avoid that I may be forgetting?

Do most babies have problems after starting solids? Should I be giving him water or juice w/ meals?
    Thank you!

Default Re: Constipation foods?

Just looking "effortful" and grunting when pooping isn't enough to indicate constipation in a baby who is eating solids. I wouldn't call it constipation unless:
    - the baby is routineley going several days without pooping (in an EBF baby, a baby needs to go a week or more before you start thinking constipation)
    - the baby seems really uncomfortable when pooping, to the point of crying or appearing to try to hold the poop in
    If either or both of the above apply, then:
    - Cut out constipating foods (dairy, cheese, white bread, white rice, bananas, apples)
    - offer more "P" fruits (plums, prunes, peaches, pears, aPricots, as well as cherries and blueberries)
    - offer to nurse more frequently
    - give a sippy of water or watered-down juice with solids
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"