Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you know if milk's gone bad?

Question How do you know if milk's gone bad?

We got hit with the hurricane this weekend, and we lost power for 30 hours. We had a generator running the refrigerator off and on, and I know my freezer stash stayed frozen. However, the milk I had in the refrigerator seems different than usual today. It usually separates after a few days, but the "top" milk in the containers seems thicker than usual. The milk doesn't seem to smell. How do I know if it's gone bad? I'd hate to waste it, since I don't get much when I pump, but I also don't want to run the risk of giving bad milk to my 4 month old. Help?

Default Re: How do you know if milk's gone bad?

Taste it--if it tastes at all funny then throw it out.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Silly question...but what does "funny" mean? I haven't tasted it before, so I don't know what it tastes like when it's good.

I have never tasted soured breast milk but when I have tasted sour cow's milk it was obviously sour. Breast milk tastes sweeter than cow's milk but still definitely milky. If you are unsure, you could always try pumping a little bit and comparing the taste.

This is starting to sound like a wine tasting. Tell me if you notice any oakiness or a slight hint of berries.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

It sure does!

The idea of tasting it doesn't really appeal to me, but I guess we do all kinds of things out of our comfort zone for our kids, huh?