Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sleep??

Default Re: sleep??

I start Joe off in his bed at the beginning of the night, and when he wakes and asks to nurse, I take him into my bed. Slowly but surely (and relatively painlessly), he goes longer before coming into bed with us. He has only "STTN" about twice in his life, but if he sleeps till 4 or 5 a.m., I'm thrilled. And mind you, this only started happening after he was 18 months old. For him the period between 8 months and 14 months was the WORST for sleep. But then it started to improve. Having tried almost everything, I don't really put much stock into "methods" of getting children to sleep better. For the record, I slept in my parents' room, and on and off in their bed, until I was three, and I'm a great sleeper now (if Joe would only let me! ). Eventually, children, even really restless sleepers, will start to sleep better on their own.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

i know what u mean jbean. i know ill miss it but i am just so.. tired right now lol sounds so selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    OK, to me, that sounds like a situation in which baby needs mama still. Yes, she goes to sleep on her own, but waking just for a few sips means she still needs your comfort.

You can try bringing her back to the bed. And how we deal with the cosleeping crawling baby is that the adults sleep on the outside and the baby sleeps on the inside. And somehow, I always wake up when baby tries to crawl over ME.

You might find that getting up to go pat and talk to her, but not picking her up might work? That's never worked for us -- mine always want to be picked up -- but some moms have success with that.

To me it sounds normal. The waking every few hours is normal. One of mine would wake at least -- at least -- NINE times a night for at least a year.
    id love to sleep with her in the middle but at the moment its only me!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*molufs10 View Post
    id love to sleep with her in the middle but at the moment its only me!
    OK, I get that. One question...can you shove the bed up against the wall? Then you just have to block one side of the bed with your body.

I did, when DH had to go on travel, put two bed rails on the side he sleeps on, to block it from head to toe to keep one baby on the bed. We can't move our bed.

I have also taken a light and large receiving blanket and laid baby in the middle of it, with baby's head in one corner and toes in the other, and tucked the corners around baby's middle under me so baby has to face me.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have a bed rail on my side, DH on the other, and for a while put Joe's crib across the bottom of the bed to keep him from falling off. He still did, several times. Active kid. It's not a fun way to wake up, but he was fine.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.