Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sleep??

Default sleep??

my DD is 9 months old now almost 10 and we still cant sleep through the night... any suggestions??

Default Re: sleep??

co-sleep so you can nurse her without waking up too much. that or you can try to "sleep train" her which i personally am not a fan of. there are several techniques most of which involve letting her cry for intervals of time.
    but it is perfectly normal to not be sttn yet at this age - i have come to terms with the fact that my daughter may keep waking up for as long as she is still breastfeeding and until all her teeth come in. really, co-sleeping is the only way to keep my sanity.
    Baby girl born 10-15-2010

with tongue tie - hardest thing i've ever done, and the most rewarding. Also , and

My daughter was born on the 16th of October last year. She sleeps with me, and feeds loads in the night. My son breast fed till he was 3 1/2, and also shared my bed. He also fed frequently in the night. I don't think I would have survived if I hadn't bed shared, but as it is I can feed, and we both drift back to sleep.
    I think a lot of people say their baby sleeps through as they think that is what you should say, but when I used to take my son to his Steiner playgroup most of the muss admited their children didn't sleep through, and that most of them also bed shared.
    In so many societies it is the 'norm' to put a baby in a crib as soon as they're born after being inside us for 9 months. And we are expected to accept the 'walking the boards' as part of having a baby. Yet so many other societies have always slept with their children, and you don't hear them complaining of sleep deprivation in the same way. Maybe our western approach needs looking at more than our babies sleeping habits. Just a thought .
    All that said, however you decide to continue with your baby I wish you all the luck, and remember they aren't small for long x

I hear ya... I amin the same boat. Daughter won't go more than two hours at night without feeding. It's really tough sometimes as I also have a two year old at home with me all day without help. She does sleepmwith me which does save me...as sometimes can't remember how many tims I fed her but lately I have been tracking the times just to see if she is on a schedule that I don't know about. I don't want to try crying it out but would love some advice on how tomget maybe four hours... Atnthis age son was sleeping six hours but he was forumula fed...he never latched on horn early. Etc..
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    Left hospital after c/s 8lbs 6 oz
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    2 months 8/2/11- 12lbs 5 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    8 months-21lbs on home scale
    9 months-22lbs and 13 ouz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2
    Can't believe I have made it 11 1/2 months of nursing!!

how many times a night is your dd waking up? i moved my ds into his own room at 5 months. (we never co slept but he slept ina bassinet next to me) he was waking up every 2-3 hours for a while and i needed to make a change. if he woke up before 6 hours i would have my husband give him a bottle of expressed milk (about 4 oz). this really helped me (b/c i was able to get about 4 hours of straight sleep) and after about one week of this he stopped waking up every 2-3 hours. the milk was also cold or room temp which i don't think he loved, but he accepted it. now he wakes up usually once a night which works okay for me.

good luck.
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

I think all babies are different and sleep through the night when they are ready. My daughter will not sleep through the night unless she is in her own room (she is 9 1/2 months old). I do not know if we conditioned her to be that way because having her in our room did not work for us, or if that is just her temperament. I would maybe try switching whatever you are doing, if you have her in your room maybe try her in her room, or move her into your room if she normally sleeps alone. We recently had our baby in our room for a week because of out of town company, for us it was awful, she went from sleeping 12-14 hours at night without a peep to waking up every 45 minutes - 2 hours. I gained a whole new respect for people whose babies still wake at night. Good luck! I hope you get some rest soon.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.eli View Post
    co-sleep so you can nurse her without waking up too much. that or you can try to "sleep train" her which i personally am not a fan of. there are several techniques most of which involve letting her cry for intervals of time.
    but it is perfectly normal to not be sttn yet at this age
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jongemsmum View Post
    I think a lot of people say their baby sleeps through as they think that is what you should say...In so many societies it is the 'norm' to put a baby in a crib as soon as they're born after being inside us for 9 months. And we are expected to accept the 'walking the boards' as part of having a baby. Yet so many other societies have always slept with their children, and you don't hear them complaining of sleep deprivation in the same way. Maybe our western approach needs looking at more than our babies sleeping habits. Just a thought . x
    I agree it's not abnormal for a baby this age to not STTN, and that co-sleeping is a wonderful way to help cope with the situation. Tending to your child's needs at night gives you another chance to demonstrate your loving care for them, an extension of what you do during the day.

But it's hard to remember that when you put the cereal in the fridge and the milk in the cupboard, or rinse your contacts in facial toner, or any of the other crazy things that happen when we're drop dead tired. If you haven't read "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley, I would recommend starting there for some gentle ways to help your baby learn to go to sleep and stay asleep. Different people have differing levels of success using the ideas in the book, but the author presents it in a "take it or leave it" fashion. That is, there are a lot of ideas and you are free to try the ones that work with you and your lifestyle. There is no prescription for letting your child cry for increasing lengths of time, and it is very breastfeeding and co-sleeping friendly.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

sorry it has taken me so long to write back!

See, we have no issue with her falling asleep in her own crib at night, matter of fact shes a champ when it comes to going to bed the first time! we take a bath, breast feed to top her off, then i put her down in her crib without a fight and she is happy to fall asleep! its just that she still wakes up every couple of hours or so and needs to be comforted by breast feeding, she doesnt even really drink. takes a few sips and then falls back asleep but as soon as i try to move her its meltdown central.

we used to cosleep, but i guess maybe its because i have transitioned to putting her down in her own crib to sleep at night?
    or maybe i am being inconsistent.

i envy those mothers who tell me that their babies are sleeping through the whole night! i wish that were the case for me.
    i know that cosleeping was the easiest solution but i can not do that anymore, she is so active when she wakes she'll crawl right off the side of the bed, even when theres bumpers, there are still gaps and she finds them and tumbles out, so i cannot sleep with the worry of her waking up and crawling straight off the edge of the bed!

i just wish i knew how to get her to calm herself after she has put herself to sleep in the crib!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*molufs10 View Post
    sorry it has taken me so long to write back!

See, we have no issue with her falling asleep in her own crib at night, matter of fact shes a champ when it comes to going to bed the first time! we take a bath, breast feed to top her off, then i put her down in her crib without a fight and she is happy to fall asleep! its just that she still wakes up every couple of hours or so and needs to be comforted by breast feeding, she doesnt even really drink. takes a few sips and then falls back asleep but as soon as i try to move her its meltdown central.

we used to cosleep, but i guess maybe its because i have transitioned to putting her down in her own crib to sleep at night?
    or maybe i am being inconsistent.

i envy those mothers who tell me that their babies are sleeping through the whole night! i wish that were the case for me.
    i know that cosleeping was the easiest solution but i can not do that anymore, she is so active when she wakes she'll crawl right off the side of the bed, even when theres bumpers, there are still gaps and she finds them and tumbles out, so i cannot sleep with the worry of her waking up and crawling straight off the edge of the bed!

i just wish i knew how to get her to calm herself after she has put herself to sleep in the crib!!
    OK, to me, that sounds like a situation in which baby needs mama still. Yes, she goes to sleep on her own, but waking just for a few sips means she still needs your comfort.

You can try bringing her back to the bed. And how we deal with the cosleeping crawling baby is that the adults sleep on the outside and the baby sleeps on the inside. And somehow, I always wake up when baby tries to crawl over ME.

You might find that getting up to go pat and talk to her, but not picking her up might work? That's never worked for us -- mine always want to be picked up -- but some moms have success with that.

To me it sounds normal. The waking every few hours is normal. One of mine would wake at least -- at least -- NINE times a night for at least a year.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree with Susan -- your baby still needs you at night, and that's fine. We stopped cosleeping too around this time and like your LO, going down was a breeze and he still woke a couple of nights to nurse. I ended up just setting myself up a bed on the floor of his room so that I didn't have to sit up during those times, we just lay down on the floor together until he fell back asleep. It's really not entirely common for a baby toSTTN before one or so -- sounds exhausting, I know -- but unless you're going to do some crazy sleep training like CIO (which is sort of really mean IMHO), you just gotta let your baby tell you what she needs. Even if it's not tons of milk, she still needs her Mama's comfort in the middle of the night. My guy didn't start STTN consistently until around 15 months. And even now occasionally will wake to nurse at 21 months!

After your baby's over a year, there are gentler ways to night wean - i'm not familiar with them because i never bothered, but maybe some Mama's here will chime in. I know it's exhausting, but just hang in there. I know it's because i'm no longer sleep deprived that i say this, but I miss those night time snuggles with my monkey. The time really does go quickly.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it