Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just weird

Default Just weird

I had supply issues, my DS was 6 weeks early, now he's 6months old. We've battled with thrush and mastitis and through the first teeth, but this new thing he's doing is weird.
    He's been doing the solid food thing since he was a little under 5mos. He's really thriving with it! I have a pediatrician for him who I love, and has been nothing but supportive and has been really good at advising things, but bfing isn't really their area
    Anywho, so at 6months he started nursing more, and fussing and doing the gymnastics, thats fine, whatever. But for the last few days he's been fussing, struggling then just giving up with only a few minutes of actual latch on nursing. In the mornings we're fine, but after that initial morning "fullness" everything just falls apart. He'd been getting 4 ozs of formula a day, usually at night. It didn't replace a feeding really, it be his dad giving him the bottle and then him nursing. But since this has started he's been getting more formula. Tonight he detached like he was done and cried and cried, then I tried the other side, he tried to latch then again, crying. So my DH took him and gave him a second bottle and the kid sucked it down like he was starving.

I don't really know whats going on. I have to use a nipple shield because my nipples don't come out enough for him to nurse. I know one of the downsides to those is a decreased supply.
    Is there anything else I can be doing? He's trying to nurse every 1.5 to 2 hours.
    I'm scared I'm drying up!

(Oh yeah, he's had good wet diapers, good poos. All of that is in working order right now!)
    Last edited by @llli*rooney; September 4th, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
    Mommy to Eddie (2/22/11)

We started at 4.9lbs and now are at 16.5lbs! With lots of love, breast feeding and a little help from formula he's catching up fast!

Default Re: Just weird

My mom thinks it could be because he's cutting his top teeth?
    Mommy to Eddie (2/22/11)

We started at 4.9lbs and now are at 16.5lbs! With lots of love, breast feeding and a little help from formula he's catching up fast!

Sounds like that could be the cause. Sounds like he may want to eat but is in pain?

Maybe try some infant Tylenol, see if that helps...

Since he doesn't need solids at this point (until around a year, solids are primarily for fun), I would cut down on them, cut down on or, preferably, cut out the formula, and just nurse, nurse, nurse. It sounds like your LO might be going on a strike- this link talks about how to end them: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"