Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latching and strange sleep?

Default Latching and strange sleep?

The first problem: My right breast. It seems that my nipple does not want to either stay errect or its just not large enough for my LO to latch around. She is getting enough to eat as suggested by her output in dirty diapers but I am quite confused as to how I should handle her feedings. She fusses and shakes her head and pulls away. I can get her to latch to it for literally 3 seconds then she becomes very upset and unlatches. After the first unsucessful latch, I can't get her to reattach. At this point, I generally offer my left just to make sure shes getting something to eat. She stays on that breast quite well. While in the hospital I couldn't get her to latch on to my right breast and several nurses tried to help me as well. Needless to say, they could not attach her either. I was offered a shield to assist with my right breast feedings. This did work, but now she only spits the shield out as well. Arg, its very demoralizing!

My second issue: The last two nights have been a battle and a half. My LO takes literally 3 hours to settle down, get fed, and fall asleep. She does random spurt feedings where she will cry for a breast and only eat for 2 mins, then let go. Rinse and repeat. I feel like my breasts are not producing enough milk at night. Or maybe shes emptied them? (can that happen?) I am very new to this whole experience. She also slept an amazing 9 hours last night. She finally got to sleep at 1am and at six she woke up. I tried to feed her, but she fussed and fussed and fussed. I wrapped her up in her blanket after getting frustrated and she seemed to just doze off. (without a sucessful feeding) She didn't wake up again until late this afternoon. Is that something I should be concerned about? My LO has passed her birthweight already and the ped doctors are very happy with her condition overall. They tell me she seems to be getting all the nourishment she needs and that I shouldn't worry.

Hlp plz!

Pardon my typos! I am a very bad speller =/

Default Re: Latching and strange sleep?

Welcome! You didn't say how old your daughter is, but everything you describe sounds very normal for a young baby. The following links may be useful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html
    http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Since your pediatrician is happy and your baby passed her birth weight, you can be pretty confident that things are going well! Just keep on nursing as much as your baby wants. If she is less than 6 weeks, keep trying to nurse her at least every 2-3 hours during the day and at least every 4-5 at night- that may be more often than she wants to nurse, but I think with young babies it's good to err on the side of caution.

ETA: Just one more thing: do your best to stay patient with all the craziness! Breastfeeding is a really hard skill for a new baby to master, and you can imagine your baby's frustration she tries to figure it all out. But she will master it eventually, and then the weird fussiness will probably be a thing of the past.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It is possible for your baby to have more trouble with one breast than with another, and it's okay for her to get all her nourishment on one side. I'd try to keep the supply up in the other (hand express or pump if necessary), and she may be able to handle it after a little more time.

My second child had a "disorganized suck" and couldn't nurse on either side at first, and he couldn't even get full feed from a bottle in a reasonable amount of time. Once he learned to nurse (after age 2 months), he nursed exclusively on my right breast for two months until he started latching on the left. In my case the nipple was large and inverted, and he needed to grow some more and really master breastfeeding to be able to handle it.

Newborns are figuring out everything about life, and sometimes it's hard to know when fussiness is hunger or tiredness or just responding to life outside the womb. A quick soothing nursing at the breast is not a bad thing. It meets multiple needs. Your breasts may seem less full at night, but they aren't really empty, and nursing will signal them to make more, so don't be concerned that they are actually empty. They're not.

Sometimes it's hard to tell when a baby is hungry, and if she goes too long, she may get so hungry it's hard to get her to eat. Sometimes offering the breast more frequently can help to forestall that problem. (My own baby, once he learned to nurse, was not a frequent nurser and often adamantly refused when I offered, so I'm speaking more from knowledge of other babies there than from my own experience, I will admit.) Perhaps trying your baby on the more difficult side when she's not as hungry might help. But perhaps it will just take time.

If you want all the details of my story (including my EPing journey with my first child), you can click on this link.
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...n-and-my-story

It's great that you're child is gaining well and the doctors are happy. Keep up the good work (even though you're exhausted as all new mommies are!).
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Sorry about that. She is my first and is 3 weeks old today. I think my my trouble comes from being stressed. Im feeling a bit stir crazy or more like a human binki >.> I feel like I can't leave the room she is in and can't go anywhere at all. When she finally lays down to sleep, I can sneak away to use the restroom but I feel like the moment I do, shes gonna start cryin. Craziness is a good word for it. It takes her several hours to finally fall asleep at night. Me and daddy have to start the routine at 8 just to get to bed by 11 or 12 lol. very exhausting. I finally got her to latch to my right brest for longer then 5 seconds this morning. She was a bit sleepy and very calm when I tried it. That really seemed to help. Another problem that I am having is the nursing postion that I use. I don't seem to have long enough arms to support her body and one arm free like most pictures show. I use one hand to support her head and the other to support her back. Thats for a cradle postion. The football we have alot of issues with still lol.

The links are incredably helpful. Lots of information in them TY! =D

Oh, the human binki stage! A joyous time in a baby's life when even the most devoted mother will start wondering why she ever wanted kids, and thinking about ditching the baby with her partner while she hops a bus to anywhere else. It will pass, mama, I promise.

The other thing that will pass is that feeling of not having enough arms. Newborns have very poor head and body control, and they require you to support and position them. Sometimes well-placed pillows help (in public a diaper bag stuffed with an extra blanket or two can provide you with an ad hoc travel pillow), and if you find that you need to hold up your breast, a rolled-up washcloth tucked underneath your breast can sub for a hand. But what really helps is time- as your baby gains strength and coordination, your hands will get freed up. For example, I just nursed my toddler, and I was surfing on my iPad while she was literally standing bent over with her head upside down while she sucked. Someone here called it "gymnurstics" and if you nurse long enough, you'll get to experience it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

are you using a nursing pillow to help support your lo? This can help in the cross-cradle positionl. It also might be good to get some hands on help from a lactation consultant or your local LLLeader for some positioning help.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

If you have a pump you can try and pump your problem breast for a minute or so and draw out your nipple more. I've been doing that for a few days and its made a HUGE difference for me. Also you can always try and nurse lying down- helps you relax too
    A kinda crunchy momma of two...dd 7/10/09 and ds 8/11/11

1) My LO refused my right breast for a long time.... turns out I have oversupply and OALD, so when I was really engorged, once letdown happened it was like "trying to take a drink from a firehose turned on full blast vs. drinking from a garden hose". Now, she just has adapted with a rather lazy suck and shallow latch so she doesn't get overwhelmed. I would suggest you keep trying and possibly see an LC.
    2) My LO fights sleep too. Now that we have a "ritual" she starts getting fussy when it begins. It's as if she knows it's bedtime and is upset. She often has to be held, rocked and fed a few times. It's been getting better though. You have a really young one yet, just give it time. My LO is a big sleeper too. Goes down around 9-10 and sometimes sleeps til 8AM. She is almost 5Months now and the pediatrician told me she was good to sleep up to 7 hours way back at 3 or 4 months, b/c her weight was good. Sounds like you are doing great. Enjoy the sleep, as I've heard it won't last forever, and I believe it!
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Tysm, the washcloth was a great idea! =D I cant do the laying down nursing thing yet, as baby still has a wobble head =P It is infact getting easier. I was worried that when daddy went back to work that I would break down. Luckily I have figured some of this out lol. Still def. a work in progress... but got some of it. I'm starting to feel more like a monkey everyday--grabbing pillows with my feet while baby stays latched lol and so on.