Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sore breast again

Default sore breast again

Wondering about some help with getting through this pain again. The whole top/right side of one breast is rock hard and has been like this since last night. I can't get the milk to move. I have tried a hot shower and a heating pad followed by hand expression. Baby doesn't want to nurse as LD is slow. Added to this my nipple is sore. There are little bubbles on the tip and has a white spot again. And very sore when nursing.

Suggestions on how to get this milk flowing and figuring out what the bubbles/soreness is.

Thanks!

Default Re: sore breast again

The "bubbles" may well be milk blisters: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html. Basically, a blister is a pore on the surface of the nipple that has become blocked, often by an overgrowth of skin. If the blister does not break with nursing, heat, and moisture, you may need to break it yourself using a sterile needle to pick at the skin over the blockage. Some moms freak out at this point and want their doctor to break the blister, but IMO this is something that is better done by yourself. The nipple is very sensitive, and you know when you are going too far and really causing pain.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've been there and done that. You might have milk blisters but I do get the same thing, clogged ducts. The white spot on your nipple almost looks like a white head or at least that is what I have noticed. Sometimes the milk you produce is thick and blocks the opening in your nipples, it actually works it's way down to the tip. The way that I unblock it is first wash your hands thoroughly and just gently squease the white spot almost like a pimple, sounds gross but it will come out. What it's called is "strings" in the milk, just some thickened milk built up along the way. I also take lecithin everyday to thin out my milk. Talk to your dr first if you feel umcomfortable but it works. I've been through everything imaginable and 9 months later im still nursing and will continue until my girl says otherwise. Good luck and trust me it will be fine. Good luck!

The blisters are now busted I guess and the clogged milk has moved along but the tip of my nipple is still sore and there is some pus I think. Is it okay to still nurse from this side? Doesn't seem to bother DS and is only really sore when he latches on. What causes the blisters? He has this habit of latching on and off frequently now but he is just playing. Can this be the cause?

I took lecithin for awhile when I was pumping exclusively but then stopped. I also think I run into problems the day after I don't drink alot of water. Also, the day after we have been out running errands often is a tough day for feeding.

Pus? What color is it? A lot of mamas mistake the very watery, very clear milk that comes from a plugged duct for pus. Could that be what you're seeing? Regardless, it is fine to nurse from that side. In fact, it is desirable: the more thoroughly you drain the breast, the less chance there is of getting any infection setting up in that plugged area.

Blisters are generally caused by the baby's latch. When the baby's latch isn't perfect, or he's playing around a lot (which often happens when the baby is teething), that's when you get blisters. My gut feeling- unsupported by knowledge- is that blisters are actually callouses caused by irritation to the skin.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He is teething and always has latched a little shallow on this side. The flow is faster and he used to sputter and gulp before my supply slowed to meet his needs. It sometimes seems like he is trying to turn his head. I'm assuming because the spray is forceful. I also don't feed laying down from this side because milk will come out his nose. So I think all this leads to a callouse/folded skin/blister over the milk ducts that I have to open up to make sure plugs don't happen. I think the "pus" was just more irritated skin because I could get it off in the shower. Pain is getting better and DS seems content so I'm feeling better.